Mandriva review

lavaeolus

http://polishlinux.org/linux/mandriva/mand...stbest-release/

is this really the same Mandriva 2008 that I am using ??? :huh:

err, about his/her menu-layout rant: open the menu, go to network ? (the entry is called Internet on a german system, don't exactly know what it is in english) and there you have firefox

btw, except for the more in the menu, the layout does not differ that much from before imho, btw. it is the new xdg-layout, which many new distros use, afaik debian 4.0 has a similar menu-layout

edit: corrected the link

Edited by lavaeolus

Aaargh, was too late at night ! (or to early in the morning :D )

http://polishlinux.org/linux/mandriva/mand...stbest-release/

should work

and to be sure I checked my debian, apart from lacking the more subsection, it is basically the same as mandriva's new menu

Edited by lavaeolus

I have no idea what hardware that review is based on.

So, for one person with some kind of mostly unknown hardware, some things that Mandriva 2007.1 did well work less good.

That supposedly means that overall Mandriva 2008.0 has worse hardware support than 2007.1?

I have not kept up to date with this board, nor the official mandriva forums, but I know from all people around me 2008 is a very smooth ride. Of my own systems, I have 3 that now run 2008 and they run it well. My cardreader in my laptop now works (never worked before), the external vga is autoactivated and configured upon connection.

Sure, none of it by Mandriva developers. So what?

Anyway, with a sample quantity of one, there's just not much to say. But there are plenty of things to do.

Mandriva 2007.1 better?

Then downgrade.

Or hop distro.

Perhaps all the way to Vista?

/me, cynical? Never! :D

BTW: I'm not a dev, but this kind of comment:

I don’t know what the developers did in this spare week, but I don’t even like to think about the system they had before.

would sure piss me off. I wonder if the guy has actually purchased a Powerpack or not. If he didn't spend a penny, it's fine by me if he complains, but ridiculing the efforts of the developers is plain bad form. If he did spend good money, he should either ask it back or keep pushing for fixing of his problems via bugzilla (as he's doing), but still I find that comment out of line... I would just have a tad bit more understanding for it..

Ps: in the english version, it's internet -> ff (and lots more)

Edit: just saw the comments, fun reading...

About the menu, it sounds like the default menu people get is the new one,.. but I just got the stock old one on both installs...

Another missing detail: which version did this person install?? Free, Powerpack?

Edited by aRTee

I got the old menu too, when I rightclick on the Menu Button I can change it to the kickoff style (which I personally don't like very much, but that's just me), I did a Free DVD install with customized package selection.

I have Mandriva 2008 running on 3 different boxes and while it is not perfect, it does the job very well so far (at least on my Notebook much better than Win XP).

Edited by lavaeolus