Laptop lid power

Guest Jamesc88

Guest Jamesc88

Hi there,

Trying configure mandriva 2006 to not power down or go to sleep when I close the lid.

My goal for this is so I can stick the laptop away on a shelf nice and neat and still be able to connect to it remotley.

I just basicaly need to know what settings to change and how to change them if this is possible. I am sure it is as I used to to able to do it with an earlier distribution several years back.

Thanks in advance.

James

You can swap laptops with me if you like, mine only hibernates when I close the lid twice :unsure:

This is on a Toshiba Satellite.

Anyway if you are using kpowersave there are options as to what you want the machine to do when certain buttons are pressed.

At least that is the idea.

Guest Jamesc88

Still trying to sort this one,

Dont seem to have kpowersave program or able to install it.

Also dont seem to have the power options available as described.

Have discoverd a folder in /etc/laptop-mode

Have been playing with this.

looks like I dont have acpi running?

Thanks and I welcome all suggestions.

do you use gnome or kde ?, kpowersave is part of kde, afaik it was not in mandriva 2006, maybe there is a tool called klaptop, which is similar to kpowersave (it's an older version). you can see if acpi is running by checking if you have /proc/acpi, if there is no directory, you don't have acpi running. In Gnome there is gnome-power-manager, which does the same job, laptop-mode is an additional tool for power-saving (spiins your hard-disk down if your computer is idle and such things), but i can't recommend it, to be honest, so far it wasn't worth the effort for me.

maybe you can look in /etc/acpi/events (I'm not sure if I remember the path correctly, sitting in front of a Windows-computer at the moment ...shiver...) I had to hack one file there on Mandriva 2006 so that my notebook suspended to disk instead of suspend to ram which did not work.

Slightly offtopic, but have you thought about trying a newer version of mandriva (2007 Spring or 2008), with 2006 I had some problems with suspend (suspend to ram never worked and suspend to disk only worked with the i586-up1GB-kernel)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jamesc88

Sorry about delay in replying to you guys ive been very busy,

I did play with /etc/acpi/events/lid or some file refering to lid and cahnged from 0 to 1 the system then took a long long time to reboot about 30-40 mins and gave irq request 15 error, the thing is I could then close the lid without the system going to sleep but the sysem was almost unusable when running KDE as very slow.

I will play with this more when I have time, I actually lost link to this forum and ended up somewhere else on some other site to do with mandriva?

Any ways thanks for help and if anyone wants to add more tips on this they are welcome of caourse and I hope I will be able to respond when I can.