Desktop will not load properly

Guest naceguy122

Guest naceguy122

I installed Mandriva about a week ago and began using Compiz Fusion for my 3-D desktop. My window decorator kept crashing, so I switched to Matisse. I didn't really like it, so I decided I would go back to Compiz and try a different solution. After logging out to make the change final, I haven't been able to see my desktop on any log in. When I log in, it loads everything but the images. I hear sounds, and I think the buttons still work, but it is hard to tell with no graphics. I can get to the main Mandriva log in screen, but I can't see anything past that. I've looked through the menus on that screen, but I haven't found anything that I think would help. I've tried different session types, but I always get the same results. Any suggestions you can offer would be great, but remember I only have full access to boot screens and the main log in screen.

When the login screen appears, press alt+ctrl+F2. There you can login via a VT (no graphical environment). Now:

mv .kde .kdeold

Now press alt+ctrl+F7, which will bring back the login screen. pick KDE as desktop, and login. Do you have a GUI?

All your previous settings and kmail will be gone, but they are backed up... you can restore them if you wish so.

Guest naceguy122
When the login screen appears, press alt+ctrl+F2. There you can login via a VT (no graphical environment). Now:

mv .kde .kdeold

Now press alt+ctrl+F7, which will bring back the login screen. pick KDE as desktop, and login. Do you have a GUI?

All your previous settings and kmail will be gone, but they are backed up... you can restore them if you wish so.

I couldn't get this to do anything. Thanks anyway.

if you can get to the log in screen, you can run drak3d and should be able to set the desktop back to no 3d efffects.

I think I understand what you are saying, but could you give me more detailed instructions?

in the lower left corner of the log in screen, there's a menu for session type. picke drak3d. log in (supply root password). pick "no 3d effects" and log back out. x should restart then pick your normal desktop manager from the session type menu and log in as yourself. hope this helps.

Edited by CygnusX1

Guest naceguy122
in the lower left corner of the log in screen, there's a menu for session type. picke drak3d. log in (supply root password). pick "no 3d effects" and log back out. x should restart then pick your normal desktop manager from the session type menu and log in as yourself. hope this helps.

that isn't a session option. any other ideas?

How about creating a new user account that does not use 3D and copy the files you need from your old account over to the new account? (this can be done using re.g. konqueror with administrator privileges. If you need help on how to do that, tell us, as I have no idea how much you know about administrating and using Linux)) Later, you can change the permission to the files from a terminal, running as root

chown -R username:username /home/username

which will make all files of the old user accessible for your new user. (Replace username with your new account name)

Guest naceguy122

How would I do that exactly? I'm not totally sure I understand what you are saying. Can I create a new user without being logged in? I'm not sure how to do that. I'm assuming you are saying to log in to one of the non-graphical session types, so if there are codes I'll need, please post them.

Edited by naceguy122

In "emergency" situations like this, you can always open a terminal (text mode) by hitting these keys together: "Ctrl-Alt-F1". You can exchange F1 with any other from F2-F6. Do a normal user login, then type "su" to get root access on your machine if needed. You can switch back to graphical mode at any time by pressing "Ctrl-Alt-F7". Cycling back and forth between these modes is fully supported. Thus you can run additional sessions at the same time in parallel, only exception is the X Session (graphical mode), which is singular (well, who knows how to overcome this limitation may experience problems at other complexity levels... ;)).

• 1 year later...
Guest Bullethead

You saved me ALOT of work! I was about to have to just rebuild my Mandriva server, forum and all!

This worked great!

Thanks CygnusX11

that isn't a session option. any other ideas?

Press Alt+Ctrl+F1 log in as root now type: drak3d and press enter, press enter again on the default selection, type exit to leave root mode. The 3d desktop is now disabled. Press Alt+F7 to bring back the login screen. Log in as normal and let us know how you get on.

Edit: I've just realised I answered a 2007 post :D

Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}