Question about the hard disk

strunal

(if

:) I have a WinXP install bootable cd

And ask you if i installed a Linux OS over my current installation would the WinXP cd install over the Linux install?

Ok, so is this what you are trying to determine if you can do:

1) Install Linux in place of Windows (to give Linux a try)

2) Reinstall Windows in place of Linux (when want Windows back)

If this is what you are looking to do, let me suggest two alternate options. Download the Mandriva One CD and write it to a CD-R (read about it here - note, you're computer will need to have a CD Burner). Then, put it into your CDROM and turn the computer off and then back on. It should boot into Mandriva Linux instead of Windows when you turn it back on. When you are done, simply shut down your computer and remove the CD - then, when you turn your computer back on, it will boot into Windows normally.

If, however, you'd like to be able to choose Linux or Windows every time you turn on your computer, you'll need to learn a little about partitioning and dual-booting. Let us know if that's what you're looking to do.

Last, if you want to go with your original plan, and install Linux and then re-install Windows in place of Linux, the answer is yes, but you will have to format partitions and such (Windows install should handle this).

Sorry if my post was a little confusing, if it makes more sense i was asking you if windows would install over a disk with a linux distro on and not see it as a corrupt or unreadable disk, thanks for the suggestions about duel booting and so on, i do have a little experience with linux when fully installing Mamdriva LM when it first came out and was happy with the distro.

Never liked the sound of duel booting or an operating system "within" another.

Is it possible to duel boot with both operating system from each other?

Is it possible to duel boot with both operating system from each other?

I'm sorry, but now I'm a little puzzled...

Dual booting meaning that when you start your PC, you can decide which OS you would like to start. I've got a dual boot system, where I can tell, which of the two OSs I want to start: WinXP Home, or Mandriva 2008. They each have a part of the Hard drive space formatted for their use. I e.g. have 250 GB for WinXP and another 250 GB for Mandriva (out of 500 GB internal HD). They coexist on different parts of the same HD.

In Mandriva I also have something that is called "virtual OS" i.e. I have an emulator that let's me run Ubuntu in an Virtual Machine on top of my Mandriva desktop (in a window). I'm guessing that you think that dual booting means that: virtual OS. But it doesn't.

Haha i'm making it more complicated for you with each post, unintentionally of course.

i understand now what duel booting is, i have 80gb to work with so seeing as internet browsing is the main reason for switching on the pc it shoul'nt be any trouble, unlike storing big files and so on.

I'm sorry, but now I'm a little puzzled...

Dual booting meaning that when you start your PC, you can decide which OS you would like to start. I've got a dual boot system, where I can tell, which of the two OSs I want to start: WinXP Home, or Mandriva 2008. They each have a part of the Hard drive space formatted for their use. I e.g. have 250 GB for WinXP and another 250 GB for Mandriva (out of 500 GB internal HD). They coexist on different parts of the same HD.

In Mandriva I also have something that is called "virtual OS" i.e. I have an emulator that let's me run Ubuntu in an Virtual Machine on top of my Mandriva desktop (in a window). I'm guessing that you think that dual booting means that: virtual OS. But it doesn't.

One caveat I will give to the original poster. I have ALWAYS had issues trying to load Windows XP over a HD that has been taken over by : Xandros, Linspire/Freespire or SUSE.

I dont know what the difference (other than they are all Debian based), but I usually have to use an intermediary OS in between XP and one of those versions of Linux.

I've never acually investigated what the actual issue is, normally its about 3am and I;m trying to get things back together for monday morning.

As another poster suggested, may I propose Mandriva ONE, Knoppix or MCNL, BEFORE you kill your windows partition?

The great thing about MCNL is that if you WANT, and you have the spare USB Key, it will actually install and load to a 1GB+ USB key and is VERY quick.

J

May I ask a question, strunal, I hope you don't mind but what is your native language?

We have users from all over the world here so it's useful to know if someone uses another language. Then people can take that into account when replying.

Oh, and welcome to MUB by the way, if you haven't been welcomed already! :)

About your dual-boot question, as has already been said: if you have a windows machine you can easily install Mandriva as dual-boot, so you can choose each time you boot. If you have a Mandriva machine and install Windows on it, the Windows install will overwrite your bootloader so you will need to repair that before you can dual-boot.

May I ask a question, strunal, I hope you don't mind but what is your native language?

English

About your dual-boot question, as has already been said: if you have a windows machine you can easily install Mandriva as dual-boot, so you can choose each time you boot. If you have a Mandriva machine and install Windows on it, the Windows install will overwrite your bootloader so you will need to repair that before you can dual-boot.

I guess it's best to install windows first then to save on time doing unnecessary work.

Edited by strunal