Can see but can't do anything

FX

I thought I'd post this over here..... "copied/pasted" from my post over on the ubuntu board.

I have Ubuntu on my laptop. I click on "Network Servers" and I can see all the other pc's in the house on the network.

I want to move a file from my laptop to my Debian server box, but I can't cause I don't have permission. Before if I remember correctly when I would try to move anything or even look around to the other box I would get a box up asking me my user name and password. Now with 7.10 it doesn't come up. Just lets me cruise around through the files but not move anything.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

"Im not doing that terminal crap!!!" :D

You don't have to - and still can use ssh. I'm doing so for more than a year now. :-)

Don't know how it's done with KDE, but with GNOME very simple: Menu:Locations/Connect to server; select properties and off you go. Much easier than samba :)

Indeed, if you create a keypair at the client and upload the public key to the server then you don't have to use console at all... you can just make a VERY simple script (even a ten-year-old kid can write it, IMO), put it in some PATH (say /bin) and then either recall the script from alt+F2 or create a shorctut to the script at your desktop...

BTW I am using KDE, but once you do some simple hommework you can mount your remote files/directories locally in no time at all, no matter which desktop you are using...

Also notice that aside from sshfs there's also "smbnetfs" which does the same for remote windoze shares... equally easy to use, although I must confess that smbnetfs is usually VERY slow for me- dunno why (maybe bad coding from the FUSE module maker)

Edited by scarecrow

Hm, I'm not sure wether GNOME/Mandriva 2008 and GNOME/Ubuntu are that different, but probably you're making it too complex. Within the mask presented here I'd enter:

Type of service: ssh

Server: 192.168.0.2

Port: (leave empty)

Folder: joe

User: joe

Connection name: My pretty server

I didn't even install sshfs-fuse and it works flawlessly...

Okay, got it working again. :-) The trick - at least here is - to explicitely pass the full user dir. This would probably be /home/joe at yours.

I also took a glance at the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file on my server. The line

Subsystem	   sftp	/usr/lib/ssh/sftp-server

will likely be importatant, too.

Good luck!

Just use sshfs... everybody knows that the Gnome VFS is far from perfect.

192.168.0.2  Debianbox

added at your /etc/hosts file. Then upload there your public key, and

sshfs Debianbox:[PUT-HERE-YOUR-REMOTE-DIR]   ~/[PUT-HERE/YOUR LOCAL/DIR]

It works perfectly, even without X running.

Edited by scarecrow

Well got it to work. All I did was go to 'places' 'connect to server' choosed ssh and just put in the ip addy of the server nothing else. No name of user or password, anything. That kind of makes me feel uncomfortable. Now to get it so it will load at startup. lol