VMWare tools

Guest britrb

Hi there all :)

I'm new to all this Linux stuff, so I have installed Mandriva Linux onto VMWare Server to see if I can use it. I am currently stuck on how to get VMWare tools to install. With Windows Vista it was easy, just click on VM, and inside the virtual Vista, cick the ok button a few times. :unsure:

All I get with Mandriva when I click on the install file is a text file with loads of confusing stuff in it. Is there a guide to installing VMWare tools for noobs please?

I'm sure that this must have been asked before, but I cant find any reference when I search for VMWare tools on the forum. Sorry for any time wasted for readers reading "Yet another VMWare tools" post.

Thank you all for your time (and patience) and help :)

Brian

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

In reality you don't need to install it. Your machine will run perfectly fine without it. Enabling that option means that it mounts the CD drive to the vmware-tools package, which you can then install, as it is an rpm package. However, when I've done this before it broke the X server, and so it would only work again if I removed it.

All it does is help improve performance a little, nothing more than that.