Save As in Open Office [solved]

Guest Fixit

Using Mandriva Flash, when I try to save an Open Office document to either my floppy disk or my Iomega Zip disk I get the message "Open Office: Sorry - saving to protocol "media" is not supported".

Please, can anyone tell me why this happening?

Mandriva Flash seems to be OK with removable media as long as they are USB devices or optical disks, but doesn't seem to be geared for floppies, and still less for Zip drives - see my posting on the Hardware forum, 4th. October 2007.

Fixit

As may have been mentioned before this is not the Mandriva Company but some one may be able to help you.

In the case of Open Office I think it is the Application that is having the problem with the Protocol not Mandriva.

Try to save the file in one of your directories under home then copy it to the ZIP disk using Konqueror.

Thanks michaelcole. I have tried your suggestion. It works with the floppy, but with the Zip drive I get an Access Denied message. Presumable this has something to do with the permissions for the mount point which is /mnt/zip, but when (as root) I try to change the permissions for /mnt/zip using chmod, the permissions remain unchanged, although there is no error message. Similarly if I try (as root) to change the ownership of /mnt/zip using chown, there is a message saying that this is not permitted. I am baffled - I thought su could do anything!

Fixit

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I couldn't see anything wrong with the fstab file, although I must admit I don't understand the meaning of some of the terms such as umask and sync, or why some are in different colours. Following your suggestion I created a directory called zipdisk on the existing mount point /mnt/zip. I was able to give this rwx permissions and so I made this the mount point. Was that what you meant? Anyway, it seems to have worked, although I still can't figure out why, as su, I could change the permissions for the directory /mnt/zip/zipdisk but not for the parent directory /mnt/zip. The question is a bit academic however, as I am so frustrated with Mandriva Flash that I will probably write it off as a bad buy and go back to a distro that more closely resembles the Linux that I used to use. :wall: Thanks again.

Fixit