Speed Up Amarok With Large Music Collections

ashley194

It uses SQLite by default. It used to show what database it was using, now I don't see it anywhere! Strange. My collection is over 250Gb, the only problem I have is when I'm searching for particular tracks or artists, the interface freezes for a while while it parses the info. It's just called MySQL.

Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}

I'm running Amarok 1.4.7 (on Mandriva 2008.0) & it shows XINE as the only choice...

Xine is the audio engine and nothing to do with the actual database side of things.

P.S. No, 33GB isn't that big a collection. :P . You want to install PAN, subscribe to a few MP3 newsgroups and leave your system downloading for a few days. Ensuring of course you only download copyright free stuff! ;)

It uses SQLite by default...

When you run amaroK for the first time it gives you the option of using SQLlite (with no setup) or 'standard' SQL which is faster but requires setting up. I think that is what the OP is talking about. I have always chosen the 'no setup' option as although it is slow at times it does work. I have read that using the alternative is a bit hit and miss, but I might give it a go. The 'official' instructions for how to do it can be found here:

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MySQL_HowTo

Edited by darkscot

I don't remember ever being offered the option of using SQLite or MySQL on first run. I do know that the option to switch to one or the other used to be in the 'collection' section. I've been told if you compile it yourself you can compile with the option to use MySQL.

I don't remember ever being offered the option of using SQLite or MySQL on first run.

Yeah, It's definitely there, unless of course you skip the first run procedure (or whatever it's called), and just go straight to use the app, and set things up manually from within.

Edited by esulcer