Samba Help - Please

mindwave

can someone who is REAL good w/ samba and has a GREAT deal of patience please help me out here?

I have a 7 station network at my house 2 winxp's and the rest are linux of one sort or another.

I have JUST started to reach the point where I NEED my linux and XP pc's to talk.

My MAIN MDV PC is running 2007.1, I have SWAT, and WEBMIN installed and up to about 2 weeks ago it was chatting away very nicely. then i changed routers and everything stopped.

I went BACK to my original router and I STILL cant get back to "normal.

Here's my deal:

CABLE MODEM ---->Linksys WRG Wireless G router 4 wired ports wireless not being used -----> 10 port HUB ------> all other PC's and printers

Workgroup name = FEDORA

PC NAMES (that I'm concerned with) = XP3K, LINUXDUO, MICS

I have everyone setup on a 10.0.0.X TCPIP and everyone gets to the internet just fine, everyone can even get to the home page of the router just fine as well

(10.0.0.1)

In Network Neighborhood on the windows pc's FEDORA comes up clear as day, I can access all the shared drives on both windows pc's no problems

I have 1 directory on LINUXDUO shared as /USR3, I have added Samba Users to match the windows PC's, I MOUNT the shared drive manually

I cant see ANYTHING from LINUXDUO, more importantly from network neighborhood, I SEE the FEDORA workgroup, but the ONLY 2 members are MICS and XP3K.

I'm SURE its something that I did, I have successfully used SAMBA in the past (when you had to manually edit the CNF file) I've even used WEBMIN successfully in the past.

But for some reason ever since I exchanged routers, and then back again, my MDV's are blind.

I would REALLY appreciate anyone who has the time and the patience to work me through this. I KNOW I must be doing the same thing wrong everytime, I just cant magine WHAT it is.

According to my book "Samba Primer-Plus" everything SHOULD be working, but its not

Sigh

I'm pretty sure, if you do:

urpmi drakwizard

you can then go into "Configure Your Computer", and then there will be a samba configuration wizard. Have you tried this? Or just through swat?

Something else to try, if you open konqueror, and type:

smb://

do you get a response? Try smb:/ if it doesn't work with two slashes. Has been a long time since I used samba. If this works, you have at least got minimal ability to be able to get your Linux machine to connect to the windows machines no problem.

After that, we need to be looking at your smb.conf file.

heres my SMB.conf

# Samba config file created using SWAT

# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)

# Date: 2007/11/06 20:09:51

[global]

log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

printcap cache time = 60

dns proxy = No

default = USR3

path = /usr3

map to guest = Bad User

printcap name = cups

max log size = 50

workgroup = Fedora

netbios name =

server string = LINUXSERVER

dos charset = 850

unix charset = ISO8859-1

security = share

[homes]

comment = Home Directories

read only = No

[printers]

comment = All Printers

path = /var/spool/samba

create mask = 0700

guest ok = Yes

printable = Yes

print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r # using client side printer drivers.

use client driver = Yes

browseable = No

[print$]

path = /var/lib/samba/printers

write list = @adm, root

inherit permissions = Yes

guest ok = Yes

[pdf-gen]

comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)

path = /var/tmp

printable = Yes

printing = bsd

print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf "%s" "%H" "//%L/%u" "%m" "%I" "%J" &

lpq command = /bin/true

lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j

[uSR3]

path = /usr3

comment = usr3MY PC

browseable = yes

public = yes

writable = yes

hide files = yes

default case = upper

inherit permissions = yes

any ideas?

:wall:

ok, I have tried stripping my smb.conf down to almost NOTHING still no go. I'm posting this from memory right now, but if i'm not mistaken it looks like this:

heres my SMB.conf

[global]
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

dns proxy = No
default = USR3
path = /usr3

printcap name = cups
max log size = 50
workgroup = Fedora
netbios name =
server string = LINUXSERVER

security = share

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No

but even THAT doesnt work.

to make strange even stranger, I tried to see of my OTHER linux pc could see my main linux pc, no go

you can put it in the global section of your smb.conf manually:

[global]

local master = yes

os level = 255

preferred master = yes

so your samba server will be always the master browser of your smb-network.

maybe you should control if all your hosts have a valid entry in the /etc/hosts file of the box which runs the samba server, so that name resolution works (I think you don't want to set up an internal DNS-Server for your network).

you should restart your samba server after that

Edited by lavaeolus

if you have samba running on both linux-boxes, you should do this only on one (putting the entry in smb.conf), otherwise both will try to be the master-browser of your smb-network, which won't work

/etc/hosts should contain hostnames and IP-adresses of all your computers in your network and should be identical on all linux-boxes in the network, other solution would be to run an internal DNS for name-resolution, but that's another story.

Edited by lavaeolus