internet access stopped working?

papaschtroumpf

My screensaver stopped working. I happens sometimes after I watch a movie, I think the video player disables the screensaver and never re-enables it.

I don;t know how to fix that, so I generally reboot (yeah, yeah...)

So after the comp comes back up, I have no internet access.

All the other computers plugged in the same switch work fine (all of them windows, but I don't think that's relevant), but this oen stopped working

I can ping the other computers and it works

Now here is what surely is a clue but I don;t know what to make of it:

I fired up wireshark, type ping www.yahoo.com, and nothing happens. I *don't* see any outgoing traffic (DNS to fins yahoo for example)

So I think maybe this is a DNs issue, so I ping 209.191.93.52 which is one of the yahoo server: same thing, wireshark doesn't even show the outgoing ping, let alone a response

If I do a local ping on my network, I see the ping and the response...

so I'm stumped, no idea what broke, how I may have done it, and how to fix it.

My screensaver stopped working. I happens sometimes after I watch a movie, I think the video player disables the screensaver and never re-enables it.

I don;t know how to fix that, so I generally reboot (yeah, yeah...)

So after the comp comes back up, I have no internet access.

All the other computers plugged in the same switch work fine (all of them windows, but I don't think that's relevant), but this oen stopped working

I can ping the other computers and it works

I had a similar problem after I installed Mandriva 2008 (network fine through the switch, but no internet access). I did fiddle about quite a lot but this is what I *think* worked but I have no idea why.

I double clicked on the network icon in the system tray which brought up the network center window, then clicked on the icon ( not the text entry) in the Ethernet description line (the only entry I have). then went through the configuration process, I then started the network monitor and everything seemed fine, so started Mozilla and lo and behold I had Internet access! I had gone through the same configuration process half a dozen times before with no success. It was only when I accessed Network center in the manner described that it worked. As I said I have no idea why, but if you get yours to work the same way perhaps you could let me know. :unsure:

Good luck

Dave

So there was a new interface showing up in ifconfig: sl0

it did show up in the MCC too

I have no idea where it comes from. MCC seems to think it's part of my motherboard, and it looks like it thinks it's a wireless card?

I tried to remove it from MCC but it didn't seem to work

what brought it up to my attention was that when I turned it off IPv6 in modprobe.conf, I noticed the "alias sl0 <bunch of garbage?>" the "garbage being random characters like "#@$^#$%G"

I removed that line and everything looks fine

How sl0 made it there in the first place is a total mystery

• 1 month later...

What the ??!?!?!?

it's back!

There was a power outage while I was on a business trip, I had my wife power up the machine but there were some strange issues with connectivity, including my inability to log into remotely over SSH (this kind of things always seem to happen when I'm on the road)

so I'm back from my trip, and there is again a SLIP interface on my system:

sl0 Link encap:Serial Line IP

inet addr:10.0.0.2 P-t-P:10.0.0.3 Mask:255.255.255.255

UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:65972 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:10

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:18526846 (17.6 MiB)

there is also the same stange line in my modprobe.conf (I didn't note the weird garbage characters last time, so I don;t know if they're the same, I think not, but not sure)

alias sl0 ÃÃ÷· åï^H^X

How do I find out what is populating this line and how do I make it stop? the first time this happened was after a "blanket" security update, so I'm guessing I'm running into a bug that improperly detects the interface on boot?