cirrus logic cs423x sound

Trio3b

Making progress but still no sound. MDV 2005LE on Dell XPS R450. I believe several older Dell models use this card. Any way....receive informational error about sound server not being found during install and boot....so:

used alsaconf: output is that chip detected is cs4232 but driver snd-cs46xx is recommended.

no mixer shown in Kmix and speaker icon has red with white cross. No module?

Tried loading snd-cs46xx and snd-cs4232 as per alsaconf...again - no luck. Looked in sound folder and found several other modules.

Google shows this may respond to snd-cs4236. modprobed...output is "module not found" although I see it in the sound folder. (lib/mod/kernel/sound/isa/cs423x)

Decided to add snd-cs4236 to /etc/modules....viola! speaker icon now has mute line thru it and kmix shows a mixer. I believe this means module has loaded. /etc/modules also has info about snd-46xx being loaded and unloaded several times.

Opened mixer, unmuted, turned on switches, faders up...still no luck..restarted sound system, rebooted...no luck

user added to sound ,cdrom, audio in etc/group

KDE sound system is set to autodetect.

ALSA in MCC services is running.

Unable to post lspci (if this is ISA card will it show up?) or lsmod at the moment as I am fixing this over the phone.

I have heard something about blacklisting modules but am unfamiliar with where it is done.

Also, since I tinkered so much with the other modules could I have jammed too much into a file? How to remove the cs46xx module?

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Trio3b