Trying to load music onto ipod nano using gtkpod

I am trying to use gtkpod to load music into a new third generation ipod nano with model number MB255LL. This model is not listed in gtkpod in the dropdown list box, so I just entered it into the field.

The ipod knows that something is occupying 1.4 GB, but says I have no music. If I look at the mount point in /media/ipod I see the music and can double click on an item and hear it. Also the music appears in gktpod and can also be played. It is just that the ipod itself doesn't seem to know that the music has been loaded onto its system. I also can't see anyway to clear the stuff since it doesn't know it is there.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be yet another expensive paperweight, like my last two webcams. :( Any ideas?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I'm afraid I don't have a solution to your problem, but I was able to get my iPod Nano working with Amorok. They key things to check on your system are:

udev rules: I had to create a rule on my system in /etc/udev/rules.d. I called it "70-ipod.rules"

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{manufacturer}=="Apple", SYSFS{product}=="iPod", KERNEL=="sd?2", SYMLINK+="ipod"

mount point:

/mnt/ipod

/etc/fstab line:

/dev/ipod /mnt/ipod vfat umask=0,users,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,users,exec,suid 0 0

Give udev a restart then fire up Amarok. From that point you'll be in a better position to figure out what's going on with gtkpod.

(that fstab entry assumes that you didn't initialize your iPod on a Mac.)

It turns out that loading any music onto the iPod that did not originate from iTunes is intentionally blocked by Apple. There has been a hack to get around this, but the hack seems to be no longer available.

I've already given the iPod away. Sigh.... It and related items were just a bit under $300.

I got a Creative Zen V Plus this morning, with 8 GB. Now I am trying to figure out how to get music onto it. When I plug it into a USB port, I don't get a mounting notification like I did with the iPod.

What happened to the "good old days" when you could just copy music files to the device just like it was a disk drive, without requiring all types of bizarre mp3 software on the computer.?

I still don't see how to get music onto this device, but I guess this should be another thread.

I use my iPod nano with amarok without any problems at all.It seems that the iPod only play music when the mp3´s are in some way (iTunes way) get into the "structure" of the iPod,amarok do this just fine in linux and yam for windows if you ever get tired of iTunes.

Cheers.....

It turns out that loading any music onto the iPod that did not originate from iTunes is intentionally blocked by Apple. There has been a hack to get around this, but the hack seems to be no longer available.

The latest gtkpod/libgpod svn appears to have some support.

I've already given the iPod away. Sigh.... It and related items were just a bit under $300.

I got a Creative Zen V Plus this morning, with 8 GB. Now I am trying to figure out how to get music onto it. When I plug it into a USB port, I don't get a mounting notification like I did with the iPod.

What happened to the "good old days" when you could just copy music files to the device just like it was a disk drive, without requiring all types of bizarre mp3 software on the computer.?

I still don't see how to get music onto this device, but I guess this should be another thread.

As the size went up, needing some sort of software was inevitable. Either you get a nice interface with albums/artists etc, or you get raw filesystem access. For the first, there needs to be a database of some sort. Some smaller devices are able to do this on the fly with MTP, but I'm not sure if MTP is feasible for larger devices.

The good old days are still here, but are simply not practical for large devices, look for something small if you want drag/drop (afaik, the Sandisk Sansas are). People want a nice interface, not filesystem access.

James

• 1 month later...

Generation 3 Nanos are now supported. Just upgrade libgpod to version 0.6 and gtkpod to 99.12. Both are now available in rpm format. You will also need to install libgpod3-0.6. The best places to search for the rpms are pbone.net or rpmseek.com.

Edited by Richard1098

Generation 3 Nanos are now supported. Just upgrade libgpod to version 0.6 and gtkpod to 99.12. Both are now available in rpm format. You will also need to install libgpod3-0.6. The best places to search for the rpms are pbone.net or rpmseek.com.
I'm glad that there is libgpod 0.6.0 in rpm format (i've destroyd my sons ipod) but i can't find a rpm for libgpod 0.6. Not by rpm.pbone.net or rpmseek.com

I'm glad that there is libgpod 0.6.0 in rpm format (i've destroyd my sons ipod) but i can't find a rpm for libgpod 0.6. Not by rpm.pbone.net or rpmseek.com

I have libgpod-0.6.0-2mdv2008.1.i586.rpm, which from memory I downloaded from Cooker. Try rpmfind.net. I have installed it on a 2007.1 system without issue.

Edited by Richard1098

The latest gtkpod/libgpod svn appears to have some support.

As the size went up, needing some sort of software was inevitable. Either you get a nice interface with albums/artists etc, or you get raw filesystem access. For the first, there needs to be a database of some sort. Some smaller devices are able to do this on the fly with MTP, but I'm not sure if MTP is feasible for larger devices.

The good old days are still here, but are simply not practical for large devices, look for something small if you want drag/drop (afaik, the Sandisk Sansas are). People want a nice interface, not filesystem access.

James

actually i disagree, i dont think its size as much as it is "bling"

my 3 year old creative zen Xtra 20GB (can be had on ebay every day for $40) plugs into ANYTHING and is grag and drp.

now if you want playlists and artist info and all that crap then yes you need to use their (windows) software.

however if you just want mp3's then drag away!

Too bad for Apple having the 2nd and 3rd generation Nano's fimrware encrypted. Being tempted by their stylish design I might get one of them, provided I could flash it with RockBox firmware (as their own is absolutely limited and useless). Since it's not possible (even if it was, there would be legal implications)... they are losing a potential buyer.

Too bad for Apple having the 2nd and 3rd generation Nano's fimrware encrypted. Being tempted by their stylish design I might get one of them, provided I could flash it with RockBox firmware (as their own is absolutely limited and useless). Since it's not possible (even if it was, there would be legal implications)... they are losing a potential buyer.

I've noticed two things about the gen 3 Nano: yes, there is lots of eye candy, but time between recharges is very, very short.