ntfs write support only for root? [solved]

Guest Deadlock

Guest Deadlock

Hello Together,

I am using a dual boot with win XP pro and Mandriva 2008.

Therefore I would also like the possiblity to write to the NTFS partions.

I followed the intructions in the release notes. http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandr...S_write_support

now writing to the ntfs partions works if I open konqueror as root. This I would like to avoid.

I would like to write on my ntfs partions using my normal user.

What do I have to do? I am quite new to Linux and would need some assistance at this point.

Best thanks in advance for your help.

Deadlock

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Hi deadlock,

welcome to Mandrivausers!

Your question is already answered quite well here: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=43701

The referred file is /etc/fstab, you can edit it as user root with your favourite text editor (kwrite, gedit, nano, joe, ...). So you just have to open a terminal window, enter the "su" command and provide your root password afterwards. Then do "gedit /etc/fstab" for example. A valid line would look like the following:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0022,users,nls=utf8,rw 0 0

If you want to be able to do full editing, you'll have to replace "ntfs" by "ntfs-3g" above, and - also as root - install the according package by entering "urpmi ntfs-3g" in a terminal. Don't forget to reboot at last.

Good luck! :-)

Guest Deadlock
The referred file is /etc/fstab, you can edit it as user root with your favourite text editor (kwrite, gedit, nano, joe, ...). So you just have to open a terminal window, enter the "su" command and provide your root password afterwards. Then do "gedit /etc/fstab" for example. A valid line would look like the following:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0022,users,nls=utf8,rw 0 0

If you want to be able to do full editing, you'll have to replace "ntfs" by "ntfs-3g" above, and - also as root - install the according package by entering "urpmi ntfs-3g" in a terminal. Don't forget to reboot at last.

Hi Thanks for the reply, but it does not quite solve my problem. Even after changing my fstab to

/dev/hda5 /media/hd2 ntfs-3g umask=0022,users,nls=utf8,sync,rw 0 0

and restarting the laptop I still cannot write on this partion. Do you have any idea what I could try?

ntfs write and read is a beautiful thing. :-)

I have just discovered that Mandriva offers an incredibly easy peasy graphical method of enabliing read/write on NTFS drives! :wall: Why does no one seem to know about this? :huh2:

1. Install ntfs-3g AND ntfs-config

2. As root run: ntfs-config-root

3. Tick the box for external and/or internal in the popup window

4. Close the window

5. Start reading and writing to your NTFS drive, you don't even have to reboot!

NOTE: The NTFS configuration tool appears as an item in your menu under System > System tools but when you click on it nothing happens. Presumably because you have to be root to run it? It would be nice to get little message though!

I have just installed the latest update and NTFS-config now works from the main menu! You wouldn't get service like that from Microsoft! :thumbs:

Edited by darkscot