Google OS?

Ok,

now I'm NO fan of huge corporations muscling in on our turf , and I'm absolutely NOT a fan of ubunutu (I wish I was, I seem to be the only one on the planet who DOESNT)

BUT has anyone seen or TRIED ThinkGos?

found at www.thinkgos.com of all places....

Apparently Google has decided that they can seel, through wal-mart a $200 pc (monitor not included) with their own branded distrobution and make a mark on the world!

Here are some things i DO like. I downloaded the OS this weekend and threw it on my "test box" It is VERY graphical, its pretty quick

(this is a 2.2GHZ sempron with 512mb ram and a 40GB hd).

but see THATS not what has me psyched!

if you can get connected to the web site (they have had more than they're share of issues getting the site up and running), which is a shame from a web giant like google.

BUT here's the thing that has me excited, if you look under their "products " page they have done the developers (and enthusiests ) a HUGE favor: through a partnership with ClubIT they will ship you the Gos DVD AND a Via C7 MB and 1.5GHZ CPU for $59 USD.

Now I have a C5 cpu and MB and unfortunately out of the box MDV wont run on it (and yet winXP will?) so if they are telling me that Gos WILL and they are willing to SAVE me $80 on the hardware....well please cruise on over to ebay and check out some of my auctions, I ned $60.

THIS would be SO great, The C5 that I have (800MHZ) runs VERY quiet and very nicely (using it as a PVR) and I would love to see how FAST it would be using a decent linux distro.

and hey, maybe i would even begin to LIKE ubunutu!!!!!

Anyway, anyone here who has Gos installed I'd love to hear what you have found to like or dislike. As soon as I get some time to play with it, I'll let you know!

j

It's important to note that gOS has nothing to do with Google. It is produced by a third party and bundles a lot of Google apps together, but is not affiliated / associated with Google. From the site:

gOS is an independent operating system devoted to making Google Applications and other free, web software more widespread and accessible to the world. gOS is not affiliated with Google or their partners.

It looks like a neat little OS though, I'd like to try it out. I also think that SaaS is the future of applications, so its natural that operating systems in the future will be like gOS - merely a front-end to a browser that locks into hosted applications.

It's important to note that gOS has nothing to do with Google. It is produced by a third party and bundles a lot of Google apps together, but is not affiliated / associated with Google. From the site:

It looks like a neat little OS though, I'd like to try it out. I also think that SaaS is the future of applications, so its natural that operating systems in the future will be like gOS - merely a front-end to a browser that locks into hosted applications.

actually i missed that, as i believe most folks who are buying at wally world will! i'd hate to be working THERE the day after xmas, or worse yet Tech Support on Xmas day.

"Hey Halo3 wont run!"

but I loaded the live dvd (I cant get mine to successfully overburn onto a cd 724MB) on my Via Epia 800MHZ 512MB system that I use as a DVR in the bedroom and it seems to load just fine

which leads me to THINK that MAYBE KUBU will run on this thing as well! Like I said arlier I'm one ofthe few who do not LIKE UBU, but hey if it will work on my C5 maybe I could start to move in that direction, I jusy HATE to start over w/ a nw distro, it just befuddles me that MDV wont run....