Zip 250

satelliteuser083

I've been given a Zip250 drive (model Z250USBPCM), which I'd like to attach to my Mva2006 box. There is a USB and a parallel connector on the drive. When I connected it via the USB, 2006 tried to configure it but failed; I've since read that "Iomega does not support using USB drives in Linux". Has anyone out there any experience with this drive, and, in particular, does it ONLY work via the parallel-interface? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the problem is solved. I bought a PCMCIA-cable for the drive, uncoupled the parallel-interfaced ZIP-100 drive (mandy gets confused if BOTH are connected), plugged in the ZIP-250, rebooted and... ... it worked. No mods to fstat or anything else. Magnificent :thumbs: . That's computing for you!!

Many thanks for all your help :) .

I'd just like to add something which is rather curious here. I have two zip-250 disks, which were origionally formatted for Mac and have now been formatted for PC (by Windoze). Windoze reads from and writes to these correctly but mandy refuses to mount either :unsure: . Using another zip-250 disk (origionally formatted for PC) everything works correctly under mandy (and Windoze). It would appear that there is some (physical??) formatting on the disks that windoze ignores but mandy doesn't. Has anyone any tips on how to overcome this problem? Thanks

The dosfstools package contains (basically) two utilities, namely dosfsck (which you should use to check your zip floppies) and mkdosfs (which you can use to reformat them, if something looks wrong with them).

For usage details, simply open konqueror and type in

man:dosfsck

and so on.