User Switching Problem with 3d

Mitchell

Hiya folks, here's a bug that's been happening since my early days with Mandriva... (Oh, about 7 months ago...lol) I've always used 3d, until recently when I was having some troubles I switched it off. AMAZING! I could actually switch users, and NOT have my windows manager disabled. What the heck is going on?

Basically, when I have my 3d desktop enabled (both with Compiz under 2007.1, and now with Compiz-Fusion in 2008.0), if I switch users (eiter using "startx -- :1" or picking "switch users" from the panel menu) I can log into another account, and keep my existing one running, but the desktop manager is disabled in the new instance. I.e., no additional desktops, no windows borders, no sound, etc. Highly irritating, and it basically means I can't switch users...

When I am NOT using a 3d environment, there is no problem. My only issue is that I can't use sound, I believe permissions are a problem with this. Before I installed 2008.0 I actaully got sound working on switched accounts by changing some device permissions, but unfortunately I had to do a clean install for 2008.0, and can't remember where I changed them....

So main question, how can I get user switching properly working while using a 3d environment? Is it something to do with permissions? Also, how do I enable sound again? To make sharing easier between accounts on my box, I've given all the users the same group, and removed the original user groups. I know it's probably a bad idea, but it's made life easier and my goal is for the user accounts to be able to see each other, not keep each other out. Security between accounts is not an issue for me. No account is world writable. Currently I have a 'shared' folder on each of my desktops linked to "/home/shared", which is writable by each user. Was much easier to do this when all the accounts had the same primary group. Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on user permissions for getting my desktop manager to work properly when I'm using the 3d environment, or any other things to try? Thanks.

~Mitchell

Well for the user switching problem I don't have any solution, I've also had this problem in both 2007.1 and 2008.0.

For sound you just have to add the users to the audio group, at least that's what I did, after that the audio works for multiple users.

Edited by ppcrulez

Thanks ppcrulez... that makes sense about the sound, and is probably how I fixed it last time... I'll try later on tonight. I wonder if the same thing could work for the graphical interface? Does anyone know if there's a permission I could enable that could work with this? It almost seems like the same thing is happening with permissions for the 3d environment... any guess how I could change these?

Just solved the audio problem, as you mentioned above... adding users to audioi group worked fine. Tried the same with the video group, but no luck. Anyone else have any ideas? Anyone from Mandriva able to fill us in on this one? Thanks.

~Mitchell