2008 support for Via Prosavage KM266

xboxboy

Hello All.

Im about to dual boot my Xp machine with 2008 (install to be on second drive). I used to run mandrake 9.0 no hastles (hard drive crashed and I never reinstalled). I've tried looking everywhere to see if I can get full support for the onboard graphics (processor is the ProSavage8 3D).

The Via website has its own kernels for some versions of mandrake (such as pre 2006, 2007 etc.) There is no mention of 2008. Is it likely I could have full support out of the box with 2008?

South bridge chip is VIA VT8235.

Can anyone advise me whether the onboard video card on my mother board (MSI KM2M Combo L) is hardware or software accelerated? Im not sure where to look to find this out. I assume its the same as with modems, where a hardware modem works under linux but a software wont. Are most onboard video cards hardware or software accelerated?

A top amount of recent video cards is either built on Nvidia or Ati gfx chips, for which linux 3d acceleration is available (direct hardware support). In general, chip vendors make sure hardware acceleration can be used for a given OS.

I found this link here indicating it could be done, but it's quite old and doesn't seem to be that easy:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/li...-savage-168951/

So, if you want a fast and easy solution and enjoy good gfx performance, you should go for a Ati or Nvidia based AGP card.

Thanks Scoonma. From what I can gather, and what Adamw said, I think 2008 will install fine, from around kernel 2.6.14 or so the savage driver was added, so I shouldn't have to mess around too much. I'm hoping I can dedicate around 250mb of ram to the onboard graphics, and leave 1mb for the cpu, and hopefully this will be enough. Not sure if this will get Compiz going or not. Fingers crossed.