Can the look of the login screen be configured?

menendez

Mandriva 2008 KDE

Can the look of the login screen be configured?

Specifically I would like all the user accounts be listed and selectable.

Maybe even with icons ala Windows.

I'm not interested in the Windows switch user capability.

Just simply list the user accounts instead of the blank entry for username.

Thanks,

Yes they can in a million and one way. The program gdmsetup (also accessible via the mandriva control center in the section boot) allows you to select the theme for your login-manager (usually GDM or KDM). You also may want to visit these sites which provide themes for the KDE and GNOME login managers. Some are designed to show a list of all users with their own picture.

If you are using KDE then you have available one of the most versatile login manager tools available but which seems to be ignored by most users.

Open KDE Control Centre............System Administration...............Login Manager. Click on Administrator Mode then enter your root password.

Go through and select things as you want them to be, click apply and then close out.

You have a further step which has to be undertaken because the system sabotages your previous efforts by having the kdm file having a line that says UseTheme=true even when no such themes has been installed or even selected.

Open a console and type in kdesu konqueror, enter, your root password, enter.

This opens Konqueror in root mode so you can then select /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc. Click on kdmrc and it will open with kwrite.

Carefully scroll down until you find a line which reads ......UseTheme=true change the word true to false so it now reads UseTheme=false. Click on the file button at the top and select save.

Close out and right click on the desktop and select End Session you should now see you new Login setup.

I hope you like it. I always use it for every OS version and tailor it to my own tastes.

Cheers. John.

OK,

AussieJohn's instructions got me to the point where a user list appears (THANKS).

But is in nothing fancy. I did find a theme I like.

So I downloaded a theme, untar'd it, and moved the folder to /usr/share/themes

But how do I change the login manager theme?

If I go the Mandriva Control Center and get to "Set Up Boot Graphical Theme" the pulldown menu

has only one selection - Mandriva-One

If I go the the KDE Control Center and get to System Administration / Login Manager

I see a "GUI Style" pulldown menu in the Appearance tab but it does not list the theme I downloaded.

Edited by menendez

With what I told you, you can make your own theme for Login. Or is that too hard ???.

You can Change Fonts, Pictures, Icons and even Gui style and colour schemes.

These are all that a theme is. I guess I must be too far advanced.

There is no single theme type for all the things you are listing.

There are different theme sets for each of those purposes the fact that you found a theme of some sort and put it in a particular folder doesn't make things any clearer.

Where themes can be installed they usually do NOT need the package to be untarred. The theme installer is simply linked to the position or location of the tarred package and it does what it needs to do itself.

John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Install this package kdmtheme. Then open your KDE Control Centre go to System Administration you will see KDM Theme Manager. You can use that to install and change your login manager themes. No need to unpack the theme first, just select the downloaded theme tar file with the KDM Theme Manager and away you go. :)

Install this package kdmtheme. Then open your KDE Control Centre go to System Administration you will see KDM Theme Manager. You can use that to install and change your login manager themes. No need to unpack the theme first, just select the downloaded theme tar file with the KDM Theme Manager and away you go. :)

Thanks, I'm good now. No one pointed out the KDE Theme Manager before. As a newbie to Linux I get confused by terms be used for different things: two Control Centers (Mandriva + KDE) and now two theme managers (KDE + KDM).

I appreciate the help.

Personally, I have switched since quite some time ago to Slim login manager (very lightweight, making a custom theme is very easy, no dependencies to any Gnome/KDE/whatever libraries...) and I' quite happy with it. I have configured it using a random theme at every login, out of more than half a dozen... most of them are really pretty!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also very interested in changing the look of the default Mandriva's login theme. I have KDM Theme Manager installed, and also I installed some nice themes from KDE-Look. Unfortunately when in administrators mode I choose a theme, press apply button and then reboot, I still see the default theme. It happens with every theme I tried. What can be wrong? Do anyone have KDM Theme Manager working properly on 2008.0?

Unfortunately when in administrators mode I choose a theme, press apply button and then reboot, I still see the default theme.
Have you followed AussieJohn's instructions and edited your /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc, changing the line to UseTheme=false?