Novice needs help with Mandriva 2008 [solved]

DaveinSpain

I managed to install Mandriva 2007 on 2 machinesd and get them bot up, running and talking to each other and respective Windows shares with no real problems, but 2008 has me foxed completely.

It reports no Windows installation when I try to set my Windows file sharing.

I cannot connect to the internet, even after shutting down shorewall, reconfiguring the interface and reinstalling the distribution.

I cannot shut down! Instead of the dialogue box I am used to with the various Session and Rebooot/Turn off options, I get the option to End Session or Cancel. End session takes me into the bash shell, which sometimes shows a string of mount-related error messages and sometimes just the login message.

I have reinstalled the distro 3 times with no change in results.

The desktop is identical to the one I configured under 2007, with a few of the tweaks of 2008 visible.

I have tried downloading and burning the CD from 3 different mirrors so I don't think this is the problem.

Any suggestions welcome!

Yes, I checked the MD5 file and also the burn. I used 2 different computers for downloading and burning and that doesn´t seem to be the problem, as you say.

I reinstalled 2007-1 and reset everything to defaults, then installed 2008 again. This has resolved all the issues except connecting to the internet, which is most recalcitrant, as the system reports that the network is working. I have 2 computers connected to a DHCP modem via a switch. The modem connects to a microwave link (not many wires here in rural Spain!) which is pretty solid at 350 up /150 down connection speeds. (for here that is really flying!).

I think the problem may be that the computer went for repair (under guarantee) when the motherboard failed a couple of weeks ago. When it came back eth0 was reported as does not exist, but 2007 detected eth3. Everything worked fine after I switched the network port to eth3. 2008 is reporting the same interface as eth0 and I cannot find how to change it. The port worked fine as eth3 under 2007 and gives no problem in Windows Vista.

Any further suggestions much appreciated. :wall:

I cannot shut down! Instead of the dialogue box I am used to with the various Session and Rebooot/Turn off options, I get the option to End Session or Cancel. End session takes me into the bash shell, which sometimes shows a string of mount-related error messages and sometimes just the login message.

I can't help you with your technical problems, but if you have the KDE desktop in 2008 then the way I shut down is to [click] the little red button in the lower right corner. This gives you the options to restart or shutdown.

Zac

Yes, unfortunately the installation didn´t put the little red button in the corner. Eventually I managed to install it from the panel menu but by that time I had got round the problem another way. Thanks for taking the time to answer though. That particular issue is now resolved. The only remaining problem is that although the network is reported as up on eth0 I stall can't connect to the internet.

Success!

I was fiddling around with configure eth0 and trying to connect with Mozilla when suddenly everything worked. I wasn't doing anything I hadn't already tried before as far as I know, except that I had accessed drakconfig via a slightly circuitous route by right-clicking on the network indicator in the system tray.

Many thanks to those who took the time to answer my cry for help. :D