UT 3 for linux?

Maznislav

I need any information about ut 3 and linux at all. I LOVE this GAME and i upgraded my PC with new Nvidia 8600GT but i play now only new Quake.

I need ut 3 on my PC more than a beer tonight ( not realy but.. ) I hate windows but ... i love UT 3 ... What i must do now? Still wait for UT 3 on linux or .. put another HDD install hated windows and .. o my god ... reboot in winmod and play my favorite GAME. Help me pls i need tis game on my linux box . :)

I had a bad day today and i need ...... DOUBLE KILL :)

Have a nice gaming on linux guis ... UT RULLLSSSSSSSSS :)

Unreal Tournament 3 just went Gold today, so it's finished, will be released on the 19th I think, (15th here in Australia so they say), just have to wait a little longer for the Linux binaries to become available.

no linux demo at this time .. in previous ut2004 we had linux demo and .. i thing maybe something wrong now .. but ... i sill waiting ... and waiting.. and ...

Considering that icculus (Ryan C. Gordon, the guy who's doing the port) just recently got the Linux server demo beta out, the Linux client might be a little while coming along. You have to keep in mind it is essentially one guy doing the port...so cutting him some slack is probably a good idea ;) (we may not even see a Linux demo of the game).

Considering that icculus (Ryan C. Gordon, the guy who's doing the port) just recently got the Linux server demo beta out, the Linux client might be a little while coming along. You have to keep in mind it is essentially one guy doing the port...so cutting him some slack is probably a good idea ;) (we may not even see a Linux demo of the game).

Without linux demo .... u must be joking ... No oficial information at this time and i hope that linux client realise faster than linux client of serios sam 2 (6 -8 months after game out)

or maybe try writing it yourself instead of being so impatient!

I'd like to see that. Ever ported a game, Maznislav? Any idea how much coding it takes? Ever written any code? If not, you certainly aren't in a position to criticize icculus.

I'd like to see that. Ever ported a game, Maznislav? Any idea how much coding it takes? Ever written any code? If not, you certainly aren't in a position to criticize icculus.

i love every work of icculus but i think ... EPIC its a huge company and i think that they have a linux coders but ... linux sill in maze in for all this big companies .. i'm realy sorry for that i ask any information here this will be for the last time :wall: :wall:

• 2 weeks later...

sorry but ... linux version of UT3 maybe not on this year

While hanging out on IRC, I asked the big question of the day, "Has anyone heard from Icculus on the UT3 server or client?" Here's the dialog that resulted from the question:

<icculus> it's stuck in legal

<augustus> Legal? Seriously? Have you had legal involved in previous games?

<icculus> Not like this, no

<icculus> There's some issues with middleware

<augustus> so is the hold-up indefinite?

<icculus> augustus: not indefinite

<icculus> augustus: the politics should be worked out for the server soon, I'm removing the offending piece of code.

<augustus> icculus: And the client?

<icculus> augustus: that's going to take somewhat longer

<augustus> icculus: From the sound of it, there is no ETA then?

<icculus> augustus: I'm not committing to one

<augustus> icculus: I understand. Seems like it's quite out of your hands.

<icculus> If I told you what the specific problem is, you wouldn't believe me

* icculus declines to say more. :)

And, while I had his attention, I had to ask: "Are you doing a Gears of War port?"

<icculus> augustus: for Mac OS X, yes.

<augustus> icculus: Linux no then?

<icculus> augustus: There's something about a Linux port that the Gears publisher doesn't like...can't quite put my finger on it...

<augustus> icculus: I was afraid of that.

<augustus> icculus: Funny that Mac isn't a competitor but Linux is.

<icculus> I don't speak for Microsoft, but I assume it's just company policy to not do anything Linux related.

:(

Yes, this makes my very disappointed, plus I have built a new PC for UT3, which I have yet to fire up, haven't even installed an OS on it yet, up until recently you couldn't get Linux drivers for the 2 8800GT's I have in it, nvidia released beta drivers with support for the 8800GT a couple of days ago, but I don't want to use beta drivers, windows has had support for the card practically since it's release. I'm getting that old 'Second Class Citizen' feeling again. I think I'll be installing XP PRO on my new PC tomorrow (then I'll go and get Crysis :) ), only thing with that is, once I start to use Photoshop, 3DSMAX, ProTools and BFD again, I'll probably just say 'eff that', and change my other 2 PC's back to XP PRO. Man I wish Linux had the level of support from Hardware/Software developers that Windows has, but, it hasn't. Tell you one thing though, if it did, you'd probably see Microsoft go out of business overnight.

If I wasn't a vegetarian, I think I'd just go and eat worms.