how to use amarok on usb sound card?

prost

how to use amarok on usb sound card?

also the Mandriva sound recorder software(called the gnome-sound-recorder). I can use the usb sound card with audacity's /dev/dsp1 setting.

the card has a built-in microphone.

I disabled my onboard sound card in the bios but I still got no sound from amarok through the usb sound card.

Edited by prost

Hello Prost.

This is for my own edification. What does a USB audio card look like, is it in some kind of external case and connected to the computer by a usb cable ?? Or is it installed in the computer somewhere??.

Cheers. John.

I use the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Roadie-the card has a built-in microphone.

it plugs in the usb slot.

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php...v1.0.11_v1.0.12 has an entry for the card. I tried other usb ports but that didn't work. kmix lists the card, as does kinfocentre, but lists it as vendor unknown.

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php...odule-usb-audio talks about changing the /etc/modules.conf file in its "Setting up modprobe and kmod support" section. I don't have this file but I do have /etc/modprobe.conf which I modified, but this didn't work.

Edited by prost

Amarok is probably trying to use the default device /dsp (rather than /dsp1) which will be your on-board sound device. I don't know of any reliable way to set the default device, when there are more than one sound devices detected, nor can I find any setting in Amarok to select the device to use. You may find the last three posts in this link will give you some ideas of things to try :

http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=68115

Perhaps someone else will be along who can give more definitive advice.

Jim

Thanks Prost for the info. Googled it and it looks like an interesting device.

I just had a look at the two sites you listed. Wow, no wonder you are confused. Written by geeks for geeks. I gave up trying to make any sense of it.

Good luck in your search but if a MUB member can help they will.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

thanks jkerr82508

I tried:

[cat /proc/asound/cards

You will see something like this, depending on your hardware:

0 [V8237 ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237

VIA 8237 with CMI9761 at 0xe400, irq 18

1 [Phone ]: USB-Audio - VoIPvoice USB Phone

PDT VoIPvoice USB Phone at usb-0000:00:10.0-1, full speed

The sound device names are in the square brackets.

In KDE Control Centre -> Sound and Multimedia -> Sound System -> Hardware -> Select the audio device:"Advanced Linux Sound Architecture".

Activate the "Override device location:" and insert hw:V8237 (use hw: followed by the name of the device that you want KDE to use) into the corresponding text field.

Click Apply and re-start the KDE sound system.]

I learnt that there HAS to be a space between hw: & the name of the usb sound card, but it still didn't work! I thought it would.

---

I now have the sound card working!

The exact details of what I did I put in here

In the Mandriva Control Centre, in the hardware section it will list the onboard/current sound card as snd-hda-intel(which is sound card 0) & the usb card as snd-usb-audio(which is sound card 1). Your /etc/modprobe.conf file should have an entry called

alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel

I typed in:

vi modprobe.conf

pressed i & changed it:

alias sound-slot-0 snd-usb-audio

& before this line, I put:

alias sound-card-0 snd-usb-audio

I then pressed the ESCAPE key &

:wq (to save & exit)

after logging off & on again the card worked! card 1 & 0 have swapped in kmix & the volume control. I can record from microphone using the PCM control, but I have no line-in & cd setting!

Edited by prost