2008 One - No install option

cptaylor

When booting from the CD I do not get an option to install. The only option is to load Mandriva 2008. Using the function keys I can read the help, change the boot options etc. I think I could enter the install command here but I don't know the syntax.

I should also mention that 2008 failed to boot properly from the CD. It literally took about and hour and even then it only got to the command prompt. I downloaded the iso from 2 sources and burned 2 cd's with the same results so I don't think that is the problem.

Can I enter the install string manually? Also I read mention of installing from Windows. I looked at the CD from windows but did not see any windows executables.

Thanks.

I've not really "played with" Mandriva One disks that much, but the one I recently had a look at on our company laptop did just that. It started as only a live CD i.e. you boot from CD. Once Mandriva live CD is up and running, you can install the system in your PC. Well, I cannot, as the HDs on the company laptops are crypted, but it doesn't matter. We are not even allowed to do so. :P

I belive you have the option of installing the system once you have the desktop up&running.

Edited by dude67

You cannot install from a Live CD until you have the Live CD up and running since the install procedure button is only on the running desktop.

It seems to me that although you have done two downloads of the iso and made two CDs, that you have not correctly burned them as iso.

You must not unpack the iso. I suspect that you used a windows burning program that did not burn the iso as an iso but as a pack of files.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

John,

I'm not sure i understand what you mean regarding burning the iso. I am using NTI in windows as I have been unable to burn from Linux since upgrading to Mandriva2007. I don't think there are any special setting required. I am selecting to make a CD from an iso, not just copying the iso file to the CD. I do get directory and file tree on the CD. In fact, as I mentioned above, if I waited an hour I could eventually boot to the command prompt from the CD.

Also, does the install program on the One CD actually require X? Can it be run from the command prompt or the startup prompt?

Thanks,

-Chris

You should check the MD5sum after downloading the ISO. Also, when you have burnt it you could check the result by checking the CDs MD5sum.

I guess John was mearly referring to the fact that some people (inadverently) burn CD and DVD ISOs by simply copying the files (first extracted from an ISO file) into the disk. Since you know that you should burn the ISO image as an ISO image there should be no problem.

Other than that (it the CD checks out OK), you should check Spiny's link for all the different options to installing MDV2008. B)

I guess there is no other option to install the Mandriva One 2008 than to boot to the graphical environment (KDE, Gnome or XFCE - depending on the version of MDV2008 One). Good thing about the LiveCD type is that it doesn't install anything on your HD until you tell it to. :thumbs:

Edited by dude67