Looking for new hardware [solved]

dijk

My system has a newly installed Mandriva Powerpack 2008. When I boot it it keeps freezing on "Looking for new hardware [ OK ]"

The system is kinda' old. It's a fresh install, and I have'nt installed any new hardware. My previous (2007.1) system was working perfectly on the same configuration.

I was able to boot it in failsafe mode once, but it has'nt worked since. I have googled without any answers.

Any idea?

After running "nopinit" I find out that it stops at Looking for new hardware in the alsadriver state.

alsa states it's already started. I booted it succesfully in interactive mode where i skipped "harddrake" and "alsa". Is there any way to make the system automatically skip those stages, or do I have to do it manually every time??

Thanks. I have stopped harddrake and alsa from booting at startup since they "hang" the system. I'll see how it goes after I finished installing KDE4 :)

EDIT: Misspelled alsa

Edited by dijk

Ok. The system boots just fine and works. But my wireless network does'nt work. Ndiswrapper can't find the adapter. It just says driver instlled. I fink it's because I deactivated harddrake.

Any ideas?

Maker: NETGEAR

Model: WG111T

Chipset: Atheros

Driver: wg11t.inf (ndiswrapper, driver came on the CD=

I hadproblems with this adapter before this. It's ndiswrapper that does'nt find the adapter. Yet im using the correct driver... It was working before I shut down harddrake. After that it dissapeared...

<snip>

Chipset: Atheros

<snip>

I'm using wireless PCI cards with Atheros chipset and depending on the Mandriva version (versions from 2006 to 2008) and the HW (I have no clue what's causing the differences) it works either with ndiswrapper and the win drivers or with madwifi. If you haven't tried madwifi, have a look at it here: http://madwifi.org/ or do a search here in MUB.

HTH

Problem fixed. I connected it to another USB-port a little baddly, so the system did'nt detect it. I also had to run drakroam as root to be able to connect.

Im changing the title to solved. Thanks for the help.