First Timer Here

Guest pegeye00

Guest pegeye00

So i have just installed Mandriva and this is my first time messing around with a linux OS. Right now my first question of manny is. How do i get the right graphics card drivers installed, i have an Nvidia 8400 card installed but in the installation of mandrivia there was no gforce 8 series option, so i used the only video card option that let X windows load and that was the gforce card that had some letters after it started with an x.... Anyway I go to to Nvidias website, download the drivers but how do i open them? this is not as simple as windows... I dont know how to install programs on linux?

Hi

You can find something about installing software on Mandriva here https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=10600

The driver for your graphiccard will you be able to install after that. Just hit ALT+F2 and type mcc and your admin password when promt.

Then you choose the option "Manage software", and then search for nVidia.

If you're on Mandriva 2008, you picked the right option. It was named "GeForce FX - GeForce 8800". It kinda amazes me how many people don't understand this fairly simple naming scheme - it means 'any card from the GeForce FX range to the 8800'. I don't really know how to make it any simpler / easier to understand, suggestions are welcome if anyone has any smart ideas.

I *could* change the lists to list every single NVIDIA GPU that has ever existed, even though all you actually need is five groups. But I'd really rather not. Five groups makes things so much simpler.

Every NVIDIA card from the FX range through to the 8800 uses the exact same driver with the exact same options. There is no need for each card to have its own separate entry in the list.

So, basically, you don't need to do anything. You've got the correct driver. Everything is cool.

Edited by adamw

It was named "GeForce FX - GeForce 8800". It kinda amazes me how many people don't understand this fairly simple naming scheme - it means 'any card from the GeForce FX range to the 8800'. I don't really know how to make it any simpler / easier to understand, suggestions are welcome if anyone has any smart ideas.

Just my two cents... I don't know if this is better, but how about naming it 'GeForce FX to GeForce 8800' or 'GeForce FX ... GeForce 8800'

This name 'GeForce FX - GeForce 8800' may lead to thinking that GeForce FX is the 'make' or 'type' and GeForce 8800 is the 'model'. And only one at that.

But this is just an idea - I din't have problems getting the latest modules for my Nvidia.

It kinda amazes me how many people don't understand this fairly simple naming scheme - it means 'any card from the GeForce FX range to the 8800'. I don't really know how to make it any simpler / easier to understand

suggestions are welcome if anyone has any smart ideas.

How about: 'any card from the GeForce FX range to the 8800'

:D

"Smart" enough ??

But, on reflection, since dude67 made such a good point, maybe:

'any Nvidia card from the GeForce FX range to the 8800'

Edited by jimdunn

Guest pegeye00

no, it wasnt fx 8000 series it didnt have that option, i would have picked it ( im not that stupid) it was like one of the simpler n vidia drivers, anyway the problem is downloading things, i have no clue on how to open them.

( im not that stupid)

I hope you didn't feel that anyone was saying you were... :unsure:

That doesn't happen here - we're all stupid, so there's a kind of pact not to refer to it...

Tell us what you downloaded, and why, and someone will help you with your problem.

It isn't as hard as it looks, really...