dosbox 7.2 [solved]

I don't know how to install dosbox 7.2. Most of the help that I have found so far deals with problems people run into once they start using it, but I have not got that far yet. I am trying to get they syntax right to be able to launch install.sh in terminal, but I can't figure it out from looking at install --help.

I know someone out there knows how to do it. :thumbs:

Edited by Zac Medley

I have DOSbox-0.72 installed on my Compaq Deskpro EN, Pentium III 933MHz. I used the source code to do the installation, which went very smoothly, after I had first done a lot of reading. You should be made aware that there is a prevalent sound 'stuttering' problem with DOSbox-0.72 for Linux. The severity of the problem seems to vary from machine to machine. On my Compaq the music for DOOM, DOOM 2, Heretic, etc. 'breaks' at regular intervals. There seems to be a 'hack' available to solve this problem, which involves deleting some lines from the source code before it is compiled. Do a search at VOGONS Forums, using the keywords "sound stuttering" and you should be able to find the 'hack' without too much difficulty.

Before doing anything, however, I would advise printing and reading all the documentation that comes along with DOSbox-0.72. There are many options available if you compile from source code. The documentation should answer most of your questions concerning installation and configuration, but if not, post a message to VOGONS Forum and a DOSbox author will most probably reply. I received a personal reply to a question I had concerning aspect ratio in windowed mode.

Depends on what you've installed below. With MDV 2008 it's very easy: "urpmi dosbox" as root.

Yes, I have 2008.0.

Well I considered both your advice and that of skyhawk for while before I did anything. While I was dithering I went to the Easy-Urpmi link at the top of the page and went through that short protocol, and since that seemed to work I thought, what the heck, let's try scooma's way first and see what happens.

So the long and the short of it is dosbox is running and looks as solid as a rock. :D

Amazing. I think I'm falling in love again.

Anyway, now my total noobness is really showing, and I am so indoctrinated by Windows that I don't know how to reference the cdrom drive in Linux so that dosbox can mount it. What's the trick to doing that?

Thanks a lot both of you for responding. :thumbs:

OK problem solved. I can mout the CDrom drive.

@skyhawk:- you are absolutelyy right about the sound bugs. I'll check out VOGONS forum when I get a chance.

I think you are getting the Idea of this Linux world now Zac. Just remember that apart from all the knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum you have a good friend in Google. Sometimes it is as extensive as the documentation supplied with Windows. Also there is Mandriva Club, that is another good source of information. Anything you find that is not available on this forum you can then share with us. Sorry for going O/T but I thought it worth mentioning. :)

^^Thanks silversurfer60.

I have DOSBox running now but the game that I am working on is Tomb Raider, so there are a few hurdles to overcome. I found out that I need a CVS build of DOSBox with glide emulation, and I found what I need, but I have a few dependencies to fulfill and a bit more head scratching.

In the meantime, I installed DOSBox using urpmi, so I don't even know where the folder is that the edited dosbox.conf file should go. I'm sure that is a no-brainer for most of y'all, but where is it?

I can recommend if you try Dosbox gaming Launcher: http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/blankendaalr/dbgl/

There you can give every game a specific setup with ease.

Dosbox-pre.jpg

Click to enlarge

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

In the meantime, I installed DOSBox using urpmi, so I don't even know where the folder is that the edited dosbox.conf file should go. I'm sure that is a no-brainer for most of y'all, but where is it?

The dosbox.conf file will be found in your '/home/userid' folder, if you have created it. See the DOSbox documentation for the correct syntax to create the file. Actually, dosbox.conf is read after .dosboxrc, which is a hidden file, also stored in your '/home/userid' folder, so you really only need .dosboxrc, assuming that it contains all the preferences you prefer. The file dosbox.conf is read only if DOSbox is instructed to read it from the command line, otherwise it is ignored.