Mac4Lin - Mac transformation pack for GTK

infra_red_dude

hallo infra_red_dude, i'm using mandriva 2008.1 spring with GNOME 2.22, now i'm trying your Mac4Lin project but i get stucked on step 6 changing GTK splash screen by using gTweakUI, my problem is gTweakUI can't be installed on mandriva 2008.1 spring, there was trouble with the compiler. The problem appears either with rpm packs or tar.gz2. My question is, is it posible for me to do the step 6 without using gTweakUI ? or is there another way to get rid of the problem? by the way i'm new in linux world, so please write your answer with newbie style ;) ... thanks for the project mate B)

Yes you can, with gconf-editor. Use this method:

To change the splash screen, put the downloaded image in an unobtrusive location (since it will need to remain there as long as you want it to be the splash screen). A logical location would be ~/.gnome/splash.png (or .jpeg if the image is a JPEG). Then launch gconfeditor by pressing the keys Alt+F2 and type: gconf-editor. Then edit the GConf key /apps/gnome-session/options/splash_image, right click on splash_image key and choose edit key, where you see Key Value enter the new key value /home/yourname/.gnome/splash.png

Source: GNOME FAQ.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've invited folks to help me with KDE (as I'm not a KDE guy) but as yet nobody bothered to even mail me back! Anyone?

Shoot... I would love to start?? Problem, I am not expert in linux yet... Which is why I just start my school in computer technology and hopefully build up my skills...

I will visit Mac4Lin and learn more.... Maybe I can pick up some to help you?? Thanks...

• 3 months later...

Mac4Lin is back!

This is the version 1.0 Release Candidate. Some components are still under development. Currently the shell script is not able to set the GDM theme, cursor theme, sounds, emerald theme. They need to be manually set.

Also components like Firefox3, Thunderbird theme, awn theme/plugins etc. are still under development. The Mozilla themes may not be stable. Hence use the non-core components of Mac4Lin at your own risk. Documentation is still in the pipeline. I decided to release the RC anyway so that patrons can start using it and update to the stable version when development is complete.

Whats new: Mac4Lin v1.0 RC - 9th September, 2008

New! Automated Installer in the form of a shell script

New GDM theme

Supports the newest version of GNOME and Xfce

New Mozilla themes specifically built for Mac4Lin

Adium style AWN status icons for Pidgin

Mac style scrollbars, menus

Other tweaks in GTK theme

Adium sounds for Pidgin

New usplash

Keeping up the tradition I'm including the download stats. SF.net alone has served about 10.4TB as on today! I'm also happy to announce that Mac4Lin was one of the winners of FOSS Awards 2008.

Instructions:

Download the Mac4Lin_v1.0_RC.tar.gz archive to any folder. Extract the archive and run Mac4Lin_Install_v1.0_RC.sh file.

For any suggestions/comments/complaints/feedback/bug tracking please drop by my blog or send a mail:

My Blog: http://phoenix-ani.blogspot.com/

My E-Mail id: infra_red_dude<A.T>users<D.O.T>sourceforge<D.O.T>net

Project Website: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm happy to inform you all that Mac4Lin now uses the SVN version control system. The latest version Mac4Lin v1.0 RC2 is available there. Users may checkout to download the bleeding edge version.

The required info is provided here:

Subversion Server: https://mac4lin.svn.sourceforge.net

Path to Repository: /svnroot/mac4lin

Access instructions:

To access a Subversion repository, configure your Subversion client as follows:

* Hostname: mac4lin.svn.sourceforge.net

* Port: 443

* Protocol: HTTPS

* Repository Path: /svnroot/mac4lin

For clients that use a URL string:

https://mac4lin.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mac4lin

Mac4Lin v1.0RC2 has not been released and hence is not available on the Downloads page. It can only be obtained through SVN. Comments, suggestions, complaints are welcome as always

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Do you use Mac4Lin? Do you like the Project? You can show your appreciation for the project by nominating it for the Sourceforge.net Community Awards 2009. Just click the nominate link below. Select an appropriate category (e.g Best Visual Design etc.), leave any comments if you wish and Submit the nomination.

cca_nominate.png

Just takes one click ! :)

I thank everybody for their continued appreciation and suggestions. Your feedback is very important for the project development.

• 4 weeks later...

I am happy to release Mac4Lin ver.1.0. I know it was long due. Was held up with my graduate school and work. Version 1.0 finally sees light!

Changes:

* Fully supports GNOME 2.26 and backwards compatible

* Improved support for GlobalMenu, support integrated in the default GTK theme

* Better native Xfce support

* Icon additions

* Statusbar is now fixed

* New progress bars

* New tabs

* Improved installation and uninstallation scripts

* Integrates well with Globus

* Finer UI refinements

* Metacity theme now supports different button sizes

* Firefox 3 themes are now updated

* Songbird plugins included

* Pidgin AWN 64bit plugin now included

* Fonts are now consolidated

* Transparent top panel

* GDM theme is now in-line with Mac OS X login window

* Cairo dock is the default recommended dock

Issues:

* Usplash is still buggy

* Thunderbird theme is still buggy

* GDM theme is not automatically set by the script

Screenshots:

1) Mac4Lin Desktop, NOTE:Apple logo is NOT bundled with Mac4Lin

desktop1z.th.png

2) Mac4Lin Login Window

loginwindow1.th.png

3) Mac4Lin with Nautilus File Manager

nautilus1.th.png

4) Mac4Lin on Xfce!

xfce1.th.png

It is available for download at Mac4Lin Sourceforge.net Download page with immediate effect. Grab your copy now! As always, your feedback is very important. Do leave them at Sourceforge.net forums or my mailbox.

I am eagerly waiting for the Sourceforge.net Community Awards 2009.