daemons shutting down?

papaschtroumpf

A few days ago I discovered that my samba server didn't work properly because nmbd was not working properly or not running.

Today I discovered that the ddclient daemon, which refreshes my dyndns entry was not running either, putting my dyndns account at risk of being deleted, which means that it has not been running for 30 days or so.

Is it normal to have daemons/service stop like this? Is there a mechanism to automatically restart them should they crash?

HA or high availability is what you would need to monitor services to restart them, but I don't of any package for this. When I've built Linux clusters, they have had HA support to monitor various aspects so that the second server takes over if http fails on the other server, or something like that.

As for restarting a service on the same box, I've no idea. HA should do it as I think you can monitor local services, provided the HA service on the box hasn't failed as well.