What is MUD? [solved]

Mitchell

Hi folks, last night I found a repository from smart urpmi called mud-free_release. What is this? Lliving dangerously, I added it to my repository list, then updated my system. Lots of useful packages came up, mainly updates which haven't officially made it to the Mandriva list yet. Now have firefox 2.0.0.8, the latest version of Amarok, etc. Is this a good idea? What actually IS MUD? Haven't found a home page like plf to check them out yet. Am not afraid of using non-official mandriva packages, and will deal with the consequences, but would like more information.

Also added mcnl_release, which seemed to be connected to the Mandriva Club. Can anyone fill me in on this also? Thanks.

~Mitchell

Edited by Mitchell

Also added mcnl_release, which seemed to be connected to the Mandriva Club. Can anyone fill me in on this also? Thanks.

MCNL is the Dutch MandrivaClub, we build sometimes rpm's for members if they asked for it and there isn't a rpm for that programm.

We could easily answer that if you'd give us the URL.

ftp://ftp.mandrivauser.de/rpm/GPL/2008.0/i586/release

Looks like www.mandrivauser.de lol. So that's a German site, what does that mean for me using their repositories? Also the same with mcnl.

Apart from not using something 'official', are there any other issues? They look good as far as I can tell. Thanks people!

~Mitchell

Edited by Mitchell

just the usual issues with third-party repositories: there is no guarantee the packages will play nicely with packages from the official repositories, or from *other* third-party repositories.

Firefox 2.0.0.8 will be released as an official update once it has been through the usual QA process. New versions of amaroK may well show up in the official /backports repositories.

If a newer version comes out after the distro has been released then the newer package goes there. If you wanna use the latest from everything and don't mind risking a bit then you can do so.

Thanks dexter

Yeah...lets be cool...

Actually, my current goal is to have an extremely stable operating system that does EVERYTHING I want, I'm very close to it. I love exploring all the new packages and settings, but I hate having my computer crash. It's one thing when I crash it, which has happened frequently as I've learned Linux, another when it won't work of my own accord...

Just restored from Mondo again, after (yet another) crash. My fault of course... yet another setting not to play around with...lol. Best way to learn linux in my opinion... Anyway, I better mark this topic solved...lol. Have settled on installing mcnl and mud repositories as additional packages, and not using them for updates. I still want to be able to find them however at need. See 'ya.