Mandriva One 2008 and urpmi [solved]

lawsonrc

I just installed Mandriva One 2008 on my laptop. I then went to easy urpmi, as I have done in the past, and did all the setups, including non-free and plf.

The plf worked. However, if I do urpmi RealPlayer or urpmi acroread, it does not download.

Also, how do I download the KDE games such as Kpatience, etc.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Richard L.

Change your rpm repositories. What the name of failed repo? If, for instance, plf-free go to MCC>Configure media>highlight plf-free>edit. Then type any other url you like to.

The same thing occured twice with me with plf-free and plf-nonfree. I solved it choosing other rpm sources.

Thank you Valikhan,

I was retrieving the fonts from ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/seerofsouls.co...4brs.noarch.rpm and not from plf. This link was provided from spinynormans link to the article "Mandriva 2008: The Perfect Desktop" from howtoforge.com.

I have solved my problem.

I reformatted my harddrive and set up four partitions to install four distros. The first distro I installed was LinuxMint3.1 Celena. I used Synaptic to download the msttcorefonts in that distro. I also set up Mint to allow log in as root.

Then I installed Mandriva One 2008 on another partition.

To get the msttcorefonts onto Mandriva One, I logged in as root on LinuxMintCelena. Then I opened up two browser windows. In one I navigated to Mint's usr/share/fonts and in the other to Mandriva's usr/share/fonts/TTF. I dragged the msttcorefonts folder from Mint to Mandriva, and it copied into Mandriva's usr/share/fonts/TTF folder.

I then logged out of Mint and logged into Mandriva. I opened up OpenOffice.org Writer and voila!...there were the msttcorefonts!

This took less than 60 seconds to perform. No downloading needed. :D :P :lol2:

Hurray for having more than one distro on a computer!!! Each distro has its strengths and weaknesses. It's great to be able to use the strength of one distro to overcome the weakness of another. (Mint recognizes Mandriva and allows access to all of Mandriva's file system, whereas Mandriva doesn't allow me access to all of Mint's file system.)

Again, many thanks for your input. If in the future I have trouble with plf, I have your input to refer back to, and it will be helpful to me.

Sincerely,

Richard L.

Thanks Adam,

I clicked on the Storage Media icon and was able to access the Mint files from there. How do I do this as root with diskdrake and using a gui (i.e. no cli)?

Valikhan,

The trick of getting the Windows font from Windows into Mandriva (where Windows is on a different partition and on the same harddrive), is by going to the Mandriva Control Center >System > Manage, add, remove or Import Windows Fonts.

Mandriva magically copies the windows fonts from the windows partition into Mandriva. (Note: my laptop here does not have Windows on it).

I appreciate both of you for your input.

Sincerely,

Richard L.

lawsonrc: open the Control Center, go to the Local disks tab, click on Manage disk partitions. That'll open diskdrake and give you a schematic view of all hard disks in the system. You should be able to identify the Mint partitions here and assign permanent mount points to them.