Poll: Rate Mandriva 2008

arctic

How good is Mandriva 2008?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Installation...

• ...was painless and easy to perform.
    • ... was slightly problematic, some things did not work out of the box.
    • ... was very problematic, many things didn't work out of the box.
    • ... was impossible. (whatever reason)
  2. 2. Performance / Stability ...

• ... is excellent, no disturbing problems so far.
    • ... is good. I only ran into some minor bugs.
    • ... is average. I have found several annoying bugs
    • ... is poor. Way too many bugs for my tastes.

Time for a poll, isn't it?

If you want to point out problems (e.g. with specific hardware or unusual setups), please add them below. I guess this poll and the added experience/problem-reports can be useful for Mandriva for developing further releases.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then here's an experience report. I tried with the upgrade first. It asked 3 or 4 questions and then upgraded about 1300 packages without any error message. Granted it took a lot of time but I didn't care. Easiest Mandriva upgrade ever I thought. I rebooted with great expectations that's when it all went wrong. CapsLock and ScrollLock starts to blink and the system froze. Great :(

Then I downloaded the Free CD version made a clean install without any problem and the system works as it should and even more responsive than before. So I picked the "very problematic installation" and the "system is good".

A minor annoyance with GRUB. When I press F1 only an empty window comes up. I only get the help text if I press F1 again. If I press F2 it just freezes.

So far everything else works.

Edited by dexter11

I too had problems with an upgrade, though in my case it was from the 2008.0 cooker version to the official version. There was likely little difference, as I downloaded cooker only a few days before the official release hit the mirrors, but something buggered up. Forget now exactly what it was, except that there seemed to be lots of bugs which are now fixed in 2008.0 official. Anyway, the upgrade wrecked my system, couldn't even boot in. Tried repair reinstall, lots of things, could only get into root account as a gui, even though my whole system was still there... likely a problem with kde. Anyway, did a clean install from an ftp mirror, and it worked brilliantly. Only used about 2g as well... was very impressed.

Love 2008.0, though therre are problems with compiz-fusion, mostly listed in errata. Still haven't found work arounds. The video drivers aren't that great with compiz-fusion, and kaffeine has problems. The kde window decorator keeps crashing periodically, even though I've turned off most of the graphical effects...only a few which I find helpful. Well...quite a few, but not all of them.

All up 2008.0 is awesome, I'm using the free version with kde. Like alot of the new features about configuring security, and regular users being able to install updates without root. LIke the configurability. Metisse it total crap, worse than 2007.1, which had a few annoying bugs. Coiuldn't manage to run it at all last night, won't bother trying again. All up, 2008.0 polls well for me.

I did a fresh install and it was perfect. All hardware appears to be detected and usable. Have to give it an excellent for that.

I'd have to give an excellent for performace and stability too. I am running into a few problems but they are definitely not bugs, it's just a reflection of the very low knowledge base that I have with this system.

It is not as simple and intuitive as 2007.1 with Gnome, but so far I think that 2008.1 with KDE is more of what I want, even though it may take me a while to figure everything out.

I did 2 installs, one from the "one" cd plus easy-urpmi and another one with the power pack dvd, both went perfectly and some issues I had to detect my hardware are now totally resolved so it's all good!

Stef :D

Clean install, everything works fine, the only trouble I had was when I installed 2 apps, Hydrogen and SoundKonverter. Hydrogen had no sound, and SoundKonverter would not install. I post about this on the Mandriva.com forums, Adam done a rebuild of Hydrogen which fixed the problem, and had SoundKonverter fixed, all by the time I got home the next day, certainly can't complain about the service. All just in the nick of time as well, was using Ubuntu, and Ubuntu7.10 was on the verge of release, had these 2 programs not worked in Mandriva 2008 (I use them daily), I would be using Ubuntu 7.10 now, but as it turns out, Ubuntu was pipped at the post by Mandriva 2008, and I'll be staying with Mandriva for this round at least, I think Mandriva 2008 is awesome. (Ubuntu 7.10 is very nice as well)

I did a clean install of Free RC1 since updated to 2008 official, and an upgrade from Free 2007.1.

Clean install:

- Install was perfect.

- Annoying bug: Open office and metacity don't play together well.

Upgrade:

- Upgrade went as expected, further update using easy-urpmi as well.

- Annoying bug: My Intel graphics chipset doesn't work well with the provided driver.

Yves.

About the OpenOffice bug: as you might see in the bugreport now, I tried to recreate it, but was unable to "run into the bug". Maybe the problem is your config files or a corrupted package.

Thanks arctic :) That's strange for a clean install on a clean laptop with nothing taken from any backup... Still, that was from the RC1 release, even though it has all been updated since then to 2008.0 official.

I'll try and do a clean install again, but from the official 2008.0 CDs instead... if my wife let me :D

Yves.

A quick note: I had ran into bugs in my cooker partition after I upgraded it to 2008 final. I decided to go for a clean install as no one was able to reproduce my reported bugs and voilà, everything worked after the fresh install from the DVD and the bugs that I experienced before were nonexistent. Don't ask me why this is so...

OK, I don't know if this is a problem/bug/nuisance or none-of-the-above, but for some reason the kernel version installed with the 2008 Free DVD was kernel-laptop. This even though this PC is a desktop one and I've heard a report of an installation where the hw was of a server type.

I don't recall having any problems with the laptop-kernel, but still installed and started to use the desktop one and it's working fine. This other dude had his system starting to feel sticky and slow until he found out about the kernel version. He changed it to SMP-kernel and everything was working nice and smooth again. Both these installations were clean installations and not updates from an older system.

What is it with that laptop-kernel? I don't recall any choices in the installation phase where you chose between different kernels...

And what is the difference between the desktop and the laptop-kernel versions?

the installer tries to detect if you're running on a laptop. seems that it got a false positive for you. you can file a bug at http://bugzilla.mandriva.com/ to have this looked at. include the output of these commands:

dmidecode

perl -I/usr/lib/libDrakX -Mdetect_devices -e 'print detect_devices::isLaptop() . "\n"'

thanks!

there's not a *huge* difference in the builds. laptop just enables a couple of things - tickless timer and USB suspend, I believe - that are useful for saving power on laptops.

I have decided to temporarily forget about using 2008. Will just check daily for updates that might affect the problems encountered so far. I can't be bothered trying any longer to apply workarounds. Spent too much time already.

Looking at the subject objectively, I cannot see anything that for me, sets 2008 as an improvement or advantage over Spring. I could not care less about cosmetic stuff such as 3D and so on.

So after playing around with 2008 now for a while, I now class it a non event. Sad but that is the way it is and this is despite Adam's energetic and dedicated hard work.

Would I be inclined to try another OS instead ???. In Aussie speak....... "Not bl**dy likely"

Cheers. John.