2008.1 for better or for worse

Zac Medley

Now I'm the local Linux pusher, but not an IT guy (a designer instead). In walks the IT guy, sees me, goes: did you ask Rob to have a look?, they said yes, he said, well, that's probably what I would have done....

Moral: a 10+ years UNIX sysadmin has no problem asking a hobbyist 5 year (less experienced) Linux user about things _he_ doesn't _yet_ know about.

Neither should you.

Great anecdote, aRTee, and exactly the point I was trying to make earlier - but made much better than I did...

6 - I do hope you will start answering as soon as you find you have anything to contribute - you're a new linux user, so you'll be much closer in terms of experience to what other new users have, so you can relate more easily.

And that's the great thing - when that happens it's all worthwhile, isn't it ?

Edited by jimdunn

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The software wasn't as rock solid as it is today, but the community could basically have any questioned answered in less than half a day no matter how complex."

Yeah - the trick was guessing which of the ten different answers you were given was actually the right one ;)

Well things are working pretty well right now and I'm using my Linux unit for ALL of my essential computing needs. I'll tell you a little about what I use a computer for and what I like to do with computers and you'll see I'm the perfect candidate to plow headlong into a deep and meaningful relationship with an OS based entirely on opensource. I'm one of the people who used to bitch and whine about Windows 3.1 when it assimilated DOS in no time flat. Of course, back then we just thought that it was a secret conspiracy by MicroSoft to take over the whole world.....

Then I spent several years when I did not even own a computer and I got so far behind that I had no clue what was going on. I think it must have been about December 2005 when I built a unit out of surplus, put Win98 on it and began trying to catch up. I soon realized that Win98 couldn't run some of the hardware that I was fishing out of barrels of junk, so I got W2K Pro. That's as far as I got with MS OS. Last spring I bought new components for the first time in my life and built a unit that was based on the requirements for Vista. I put W2K on it too, and everything was working so well that I decided that there was no way that I was going to mess it up trying to install Vista over the top.

AT this time I got involved with the Tomb Raider community at tombraiderforums.com, and I and another member, SparedLife, broke open the modding scene for Tomb Raider the angel of darkness. There was a lot of activity buzzing around TR Legend and TR Anniversary, but very little for angel of darkness so I started an AOD website to host the mods and tools that were coming out.

This was when I began to really look seriously at Linux, because it seemed to me that for basic site maintenance and HTML editing there was no reason why a Linux distro couldn't handle the job.

Vista was again out of the question, because it's like any dangerous addiction: when you take one hit you have to keep going back to get more. The only problem with MS idea about computing is that each hit has to cost the user about $500. Another thing that made me snicker was that my ex-wife bought a fancy new Vista laptop and my daughter can't get any of her games to run on it. My home made W2K units has been able to run anything I tried so far.

So I've been doing all my website maintenance and communicating with my Linux unit (where I'm writing to you from now) and everything is perfectly satisfactory and we are good to go.

Now, however, I have embarked on a sort of side-quest to work my way through the Tomb Raider series of games and see if I can get them running satisfactority on Linux. It is very early in this quest so far, and I have not even found all of the resources that are out there yet.