Annoying bugs in 2008 (solved)

Mitchell

hi adamw, I'm at a loss here. Works fine on one user account, and won't work at all with another... my business user account (normal user) I've been able to get the video out put wo work with either:

"perl -pi -e 's|#video.driver:auto|video.driver:xshm|' ~/.xine/config"

or

"perl -pi -e 's|#video.driver:auto|video.driver:openGL|' ~/.xine/config"

when I try the same commands as a normal user in another account, there's no change to video output. Have tried running the commands and restarting x-server, tried running the commands and playing video, tried changing settings inside kaffeine to xshm or opengl, nothing seems to make a difference. I was hoping this was solved, but why would it work on one desktop, and not the other?

Hi Adam, still not sure what was wrong, but fixed itself with the latest backport to compiz-fusion. I've been finding Kaffeine isn't as stable or seemingly reliable as mplayer though, and tend to use that. Have been doing video editing from low quality video footage, and every little bit counts.

I'll mark this as solved, though it seems there are lots of bugs, mainly graphically related, which keep cropping up. Can't view gwenphoto in full screen mode, microsoft powerpoint presentations crash the windows manager when I try to view them as a slide show... periodically the windows manager crashes. Less frequently than with the last version of compiz-fusion, but slightly more annoying as the command "kde-window-decorator --replace" no longer does anything... also ksmoothdock won't work in 3d mode.... the list goes on. I'm beginning to think there may be a problem with a graphics driver somewhere, so I'm going to start poking around in that direction. But gee... 2008.0 works great without 3d mode enabled...lol! I'm still really impressed. I can even switch users without having the windows manager crash... anyway, thanks for all your advice... I'm likely to disable the 3d environment for awhile until I figure out what I'm doing, or some more updates that fix these problems come through. Thanks again.