Annoying bugs in 2008 (solved)

Mitchell

Firstly, how do I report bugs, rather than posting them in this forum? Is there a built in bug reporting tool with 2008, KDE?

Secondly, I love 2008, kde, but there are a few annoying bugs. Would apppreciate any help, or even commiseration from fellow sufferers...

Bootsplash screen isn't working properly when I log in. I have compiz-fusion enabled for my 3d desktop environment, but the boot-splash image only works when I disable compiz-fusion, and use the standard desktop without 3d. Otherwise, when I log into any account, after about a second my screen goes white, with those lovely swimming penguins in blue boxes with a white background. That lasts for a second or two, then goes back to normal before it logs in. What gives? Every theme has some kind of bug like this, though Redmond (ick) works the best. Have been showing this system off to friends (or trying to) and looks bad at the start. Minor bug, but irritating.

Kaffeine is doing weird things... won't resize properly. When I hit shift-ctrl-F I get full screen mode, but then there's no way to get out of this. If I hit the same keys again, I get a white border around my screen, can't minimize it, can't do anything except switch to another desktop, then close the program from there. Frustrating. I've steered away from Kaffeine until now (mainly because I'm used to mplayer), but would like to have it working properly. I've tried erasing the config and applicaiton files in my desktop (haven't touched system files), and while I can start it normally next time (instead of in buggered full-screen mode), the same thing happens when I resize to full screen. I've tried uninstalling then reinstalling with the plf version, and the same thing happens. No change.

Kde window decorator keeps crashing. It reached a peak the other night when I was using (or attempting to) cinelurra to edit some dv files. Took literally hours and hours, was up all night. (yes, I should have given up, but needed them for a project due next day at uni...typically leaving it all to the last minute...)

In the end realized my box wasn't happy with the 3D enviro when Cinnelurra was running, so disabled compiz-fusion, and everything was fine. Perhaps this means I should not use the 3D environment with Cinnelurra, but it keeps happening periodically with other programs, usually graphically based. The last was with Kaffeine, and got an error message:

'The application KWD crashed and coused the signal 11"

I love 2008. I love compiz-fusion. I really like kde. Would like to find the light at the end of the tunnel which says 'YES! these programs CAN work together!' Hoping such a light exists, or will in the near future. Thanks people. :wall:

Edited by Mitchell

I had the same troubles with KDE you are having now, plus some other small glitches and not working bluetooth, remote controls and webcam.

Then I just switched to GNOME and I have no any bugs so far except not working bluetooth, remote controls and webcam.

If you're using any kind of video-playing app with Compiz, you need to set it to use unaccelerated video output. See:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandr..._video_playback

I'm not sure how to do this for Cinelerra, but I think it should have the option somewhere.

The problem with the bootsplash screen and Compiz is known, but is actually technically rather hard to fix. If a good fix can be found that can be safely backported to 2008, it will be, but this may not actually be possible.

Thanks adamw. I saw this page last night, and so far haven't been able to do much with it. I'm mainly using Xine right now with Kaffeine, and tried to configure it for xshm last night, and opengl. I could get xshm working, though to be totally honest didn't see much difference. Things seemed to be running slower, actually. All the other driver options I tried didn't work at all, kept being told in the settings menu that they weren't available, and xshm

would be used instead. Tried "perl -pi -e 's|#video.driver:auto|video.driver:xshm|' ~/.xine/config"

and

"perl -pi -e 's|#video.driver:auto|video.driver:openGL|' ~/.xine/config"

and got error message

"Can't open /root/.xine/config: No such file or directory."

So in the end I switched back to the 'auto' setting, which works marginally better (still same problems, but in general graphics are faster)

I've no idea which video driver I'm actually using...how do I find out, and are there other ways to switch drivers?

Bugger about the bootsplash screen... ironic that the best one is redmond...lol. Anyway, I can live with that. I think the very basic simple one worked as well, will let you know. All up I'm still really happy with this, and just assumed there would be a few bugs to sort out after the first release. is there likely to be a 2008.1 coming out? For now I'll just switch off the 3d desktop when I need to use cinelurra and such, though it's a bit of a hassle. Any other advice you can recommend would be appreciated.

Also, tried Metisse last night and found it very poor. A bit blurry, couldn't resize the screen, and nowhere near the functionality that 2007.1 had. Very slow. Is there more work coming on Metisse? thanks for your time adamw.

Sounds like you have the same bugs as me :)

The kde-window-decorator bug is here:

http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=30778

and the white splash screen thing is here:

http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=27236

I changed the splash screen last night actually - I ended up disabling it, and then using the compiz-fusion splash screen instead. Its kinda cool.

Thanks for that bingus. Glad to see there is a fix on the way for the window decorator crashing. How did you disable the splash screen? I think I'll follow suit. Ta.

Edited by Mitchell

Mitchell: don't run the commands as root, run them as a regular user (whatever user you run the actual video playing apps as). They use ~ , which is a relative location which means 'the current user's home directory'. So when you run the commands as root, it's trying to make the changes to a file in the root user's home directory - /root. As you don't run your video playing apps as root (at least I hope you don't! :>), the config files are not there. That's why you get the "No such file or directory" error.

Is it just me or is there really a greater increasing number of Aussies showing up in MUB ???. :thumbs:

I hope I am right, especially when I see approx. 470 downloads of Mandriva Free i586, approx.73 of 2008-One and a further 27 of the 64bit DVD and all in 9 days. I see all three still have active downloads going on.

Sorry for being off-topic. Couldn't resist. :D

Cheers. John.

Mitchell: don't run the commands as root, run them as a regular user (whatever user you run the actual video playing apps as). They use ~ , which is a relative location which means 'the current user's home directory'. So when you run the commands as root, it's trying to make the changes to a file in the root user's home directory - /root. As you don't run your video playing apps as root (at least I hope you don't! :>), the config files are not there. That's why you get the "No such file or directory" error.

Ah! Now THAT makes sense. Thanks adamw. I'll try it later today. And John, didn't anybody tell you? Australians are taking over Mandriva... it will come out officially in the next few days....lol. The more the merrier.

Thanks for that bingus. Glad to see there is a fix on the way for the window decorator crashing. How did you disable the splash screen? I think I'll follow suit. Ta.

No worries, gotta look out for the fellow Aussies ;)

OK.. to turn off the splash screen totally, go to KDE Control Centre / Appearance and Themes / Splash Screen - and set this to None.

The compiz-fusion splash screen comes with the "compiz-fusion plugins extra" if I recall correctly... once thats installed, and all you need to do is tick the box to enable it in the Compiz Settings manager.

Thanks Bingus. Tried all that, and all I got was a black screen...more or less. Actually I got the background I'd set in the 3d desktop cube box, but when that's disabled I get a black screen. Have "compiz-fusion plugins extra" installed, but this plugin doesn't work on my system...there are a few of them. Anyway, have been inserting pictures instead into the background of the cube, and using those. I like it. Not as flash, but does the job. Thanks mate.

HI Adam, worked beautifully running as the regular user... with opengl at least. xshm also worked to fix the video resize problem, but was more choppy. Odd though, after running the opengl command as user, and restarting the xserver, when I try and change the video driver settings in the xine engine configuration within Kaffeine (mind you everything seems to be working fine at this point), if I set it to opengl, I get the error "Error: Can't init new Video Driver opengl - using auto!". What does this mean? As near as I can tell it resets the driver to the last driver that was used for xine, in this case "auto". Does this mean I'm not using opengl? Rest of my desktop seems so far to be working fine... am I now using opengl for that? Are there any additional packages I should install? Thanks.

This setting isn't relevant to the 'rest of your desktop'. It's simply the output method used for *playing video*.

Auto will try and pick the 'best available' driver. It's hard to tell exactly what driver it's actually picked, but if video playback is actually working okay, then it's fine. :)