Mandriva 2008

AussieJohn

Guest EisBlade

I just signed up for MandrivaUsers...and happened upon this topic before closing out of the site. And it's a good thing. I've been the not-so-proud owner of 2008 PowerPack. In my goal to move from Windows XP (and avoid Vista altogether) I put full faith in Mandriva and made the purchase. I have had no sound since the Oct 18th, and need to tackle web cam setup next. I also have a eSATA drive to connect at some point too. At least this topic gives me hope that sound is possible... Thank you.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Adam. Herewith as you requested.

[john@localhost ~]$ ps aux | grep imwheel

john 5709 0.0 0.0 3432 868 ? Ss 16:47 0:00 /usr/bin/imwheel -k

john 7086 0.0 0.0 3076 812 pts/1 S+ 16:55 0:00 grep --color imwheel

[john@localhost ~]$

From /etc/x11/modeprobe.conf

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig

# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Wed Sep 12 14:29:35 PDT 2007

# File generated by XFdrake (rev 230776)

# **********************************************************************

# Refer to the xorg.conf man page for details about the format of

# this file.

# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "layout1"

Screen "screen1" 0 0

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

InputDevice "Mouse2" "SendCoreEvents"

EndSection

Section "Files"

EndSection

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx" # 3D layer

EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"

#DontZap # disable <Ctrl><Alt><BS> (server abort)

# allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work

#DontZoom # disable <Ctrl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)

Option "allowmouseopenfail"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Keyboard1"

Driver "kbd"

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

Option "XkbLayout" "us"

Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse2"

Driver "evdev"

Option "bustype" "0x0011"

Option "relBits" "+0+1+2"

Option "product" "0x0006"

Option "vendor" "0x0002"

Option "HWheelRelativeAxisButtons" "7 6"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.

# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Plug'n Play"

ModelName "SyncMaster"

HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0

VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0

ModeLine "768x576" 50.0 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

ModeLine "768x576" 63.1 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

Driver "nvidia"

VendorName "nVidia Corporation"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX - GeForce 8800"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "screen1"

Device "device1"

Monitor "monitor1"

DefaultDepth 24

Option "DPMS"

SubSection "Display"

Depth 8

Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "640x480" "480x360" "320x240"

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Depth 15

Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "640x480" "480x360" "320x240"

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Depth 16

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Depth 24

EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "Extensions"

Option "Composite"

EndSection

Cheers. John.

Adam thanks again reference the Firewire issue. Glad the problem is recognized and being looked at and that the solution workaround I am using at the moment is the correct one in the interim.

Updating alsa packages from cooker seems to have solved the no audio problem since I continue to not have a problem although rebooting often as I continue to move back and forth between Spring and 2008.

Cheers. John.

Hello Iphitus. Thanks for your input.

My Mouseman Dual Optical Has the usual Left, Right and Centre click on the mouse wheel.

It has a single Left thumb button on the lower left side and no other buttons. This is the one that is not working.

All the Left and Right click functions work perfectly as does the scroll wheel and its other functions such as auto-scrolling up and down when pressing down on the scroll wheel or dropping text when doing copy and paste.

Regarding the sound, I updated the alsa packages from cooker and it solved the problem however I appreciate you mentioning the blacklisting of an unrequired function.

Could you please outline how I could do this because this would be handy knowledge for the future.

Thanks and cheers. John.

john: aha - it's not loading a config file for your mouse. Note my output for the same command:

[adamw@lenovo deluge]$ ps aux | grep imwheel

adamw 4813 0.0 0.0 3436 888 ? Ss Oct24 0:03 /usr/bin/imwheel -k --rc /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc.MX500

see the --rc parameter.

let's try some good old-fashioned experimentation. Kill the running imwheel process, then run exactly the one in my example - /usr/bin/imwheel -k --rc /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc.MX500 . See if the thumb button does anything in Firefox now. If it doesn't, try /usr/bin/imwheel -k --rc /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc.MX700 , then /usr/bin/imwheel -k --rc /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc.MX1000 , then /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc.generic . Don't restart X or anything between tries, you shouldn't need to.

Well, everyone has a different experience when it comes to installing Linux on their hardware, but in all honesty, this version of Mandrake/Mandriva is by far the best I've ever used and I've been running it in some version since the 7 days. I have an IBM Thinkpad T60 with Intel and ATI components and everything on that laptop works like a dream. The package management is much more streamlined than ever before using the configuration tools and the over all feel of the distro is extremely polished. Now I always have a habit of installing SMART to handle package management, regardless of which distro i install (OpenSUSE, Mandriva, Redhat, etc) but I've found myself using it less and less with 2008 because the update applet just works. Now I will admit that some of the 2008 Mirrors have behaved somewhat strange from time to time, but it's not much of a show stopper, because you can delete all the mirrors and re-add new ones with minimal fuss.

No distro is perfect, but i must say that aside from playing musical chairs with the mirrors I haven't had to do anything outside of just use 2008. The 3D desktop worked great out of the box although I wish the fusion plug-ins were installed by default along with Compiz and the Wireless setup and Hibernate/Resume features work just as well as they do in Windows now.

2008 is the perfect balance between user friendly and Power user. There's nothing the system won't let me do, but there's also little reason for me to go off and start hacking away. Perhaps it would be nice to have the fusion-icon sitting in the systray, but we all know it starts Compiz automatically, which inherently conflicts with the Mandriva scripts which does the same thing when logging in. Maybe a modification to the python script would quickly solve that issue so i suppose I'll contribute and try to hack it tonight and get some packages together. Ubuntu and openSUSE will get the spotlight, but having used openSUSE 10.3 on my Desktop I can clearly say it's solid, but a step below Mandriva in over all polish and out of the box usability. I'm saying this even though I've used openSUSE 10.2 since SLED was released. I can't praise this release enough, because it really is what Mandriva has needed the past few years. There no slowing down Ubuntu at this point, but comparing Ubuntu to Mandriva is like comparing an 8th grader to a High School Senior. Mandriva has already solved most of the problems Ubuntu is just starting to cope with. if Mandriva could get it's public persona back in the good graces of Linux users I have no doubt that it is more than a match for Vista and Leopard.

I like the Forum changes, but I still think it needs a makeover that gives it a more whimsical appearance like the new gimp site. Mandriva has one of the greatest communities you'll ever find, but we need to look like a leader if we're to bring the followers back. Eye candy goes a long way to reshaping perception. I also like the fact that Mandriva included the proprietary components in the box (ATI drivers/ Fuendo multimedia codecs). While it conflicts with the pure open source philosophy, it's the just make it work solution that has been needed by the distro over the last few releases. The codec package has made a believer of some of my Ubuntu friends even though they know the multimedia support is just a few clicks away. It never hurts to have things work right out the box.

Thanks Adam for showing up all over the Internet in just about every Mandriva forum I can find. From Os News, to here, to the Mandriva forums you've towed the line and been there with never ending support for the Distro and I really appreciate that. Mandriva won't get the , "It can do no wrong" reviews that Ubuntu or Leopard will get, but that doesn't mean that it isn't the creme de la creme of the 2008 distro releases.

Anyone know how to get FreeNX to play nce with a Lynksis router. I can get through to my desktop, but I'm having some trouble getting to other boxes sitting behind the router from my Office Windows XP machine. Perhaps I've got the port forwarding screwed up but if anyone has any articles that might help I'd really appreciate it. Remote computing is a great way to have unencumbered internet access with all the restrinctions that most work environments place on the internet use these days.

Just a minor point about the "One" CD (obtained from the official torrent) - the files in the root of the CD (readme.pdf and lesezmoi.pdf) both refer to 2007.1 Spring rather than 2008.0. A little bit confusing when you just put the CD in to see what it is (having forgotten to label it) and the only files in the root refer to the old version! :lol2:

Also I noticed that even though I installed with the English language and a UK keyboard, Firefox is trying to spellcheck my mub posts with the Portuguese language! :D Took me a while looking through the preferences to find that option!

On the plus side though, I've got all sorts of Compiz tastiness going on here now :D Oddly when I press Alt-F2, the run dialog appears _behind_ the active window, maybe that's related to the Compiz, I don't know.

Best of all though, when I use Filezilla, I can actually connect to my ftp server without it hanging on directory listings! That's the first Mandriva that's been able to do that, I've been trying since Mdk10.1 to get it to work on my installed system (and on live One CDs) without any success, despite other live distros having no problems with the same site. So :thumbs: for 2008!

Haven't tried gps or camera yet, but the basic hardware (including 1400x1050 laptop screen for the first time ever!) all works great.

Forgot to mention - there's still the annoying problem of missing menu entries.

I'm not the only one to notice this (see for example here) and I heard gparted was fixed in the errata, but I've just installed filelight (no menu entry), filezilla (no menu entry) and hugin (no menu entry).

This was never a problem with 2006, but ever since 2007 came out it seems they just can't get the menu definitions right?! Back then the story was that the menu system was being changed and some definitions of menu entries were still in the wrong format, but that was ages ago, is that still the case now?

By the way, some further tests:

Camera 1 (Canon Ixus, USB) - FAILS, detects Ixus ok but hangs on "connecting to camera..."

Camera 2 (Panasonic FZ5, USB, looks like mass storage to 2007.1) - FAILS, detects camera but aborts with "unspecified error"

USB stick - works perfectly, dialog pops straight up to browse with Konqueror

trackball (USB) - works fine

GPS receiver (Garmin etrex, serial port) - works perfectly

Don't know what to do about the cameras, it's odd that neither work because I've never had problems with them with 2007.1. I think I've tried all reasonable combinations (turning camera on when digikam already running, or closed; selecting mount, launch digikam or cancel from the dialog, using auto-detected camera settings as well as "Mass storage camera" and "Directory Browse") but even konqueror can't see the Panasonic.

PS/ Sorry for the unintended thread hijack :unsure:

"Best of all though, when I use Filezilla, I can actually connect to my ftp server without it hanging on directory listings!"

sounds like the old passive / active connections chestnut. You might want to test with a console client like ncftp and see if it gives you any warnings about passive transfers timing out.

the Firefox spellcheck issue is a very odd one - the oddest thing is that everyone seems to get a *different* Random Foreign Language to have the spellchecker set to. And it doesn't happen to me, so I can't figure out why. I'm not sure if anyone's filed a bug yet, if not, you might want to.

"Back then the story was that the menu system was being changed and some definitions of menu entries were still in the wrong format, but that was ages ago, is that still the case now?"

actually, yeah, some packages (especially contrib ones) still don't have XDG menus. Just about everything in main should by now, though, I rebuilt just about every package in main that hadn't been touched for a while during the 2008 cycle, and added XDG menus to all packages that were missing them. I'm going to try and get through contrib before the next release happens. However, I'm not sure that's the problem in this case. I just checked Filelight, and it does have a valid XDG menu entry in the package. What desktop are you in? On KDE, I think it should be in the 'Utilities' area. On GNOME, I think the menu entry may not appear, as the file is in /usr/share/applications/kde , not /usr/share/applications . This may be worth changing. I'm fairly sure Filezilla also has a valid XDG menu entry, I'm not so sure about Hugin. If you want to check, check that the package includes a .desktop file in either /usr/share/applications or /usr/share/applications/kde .

I just checked Filelight, and it does have a valid XDG menu entry in the package. What desktop are you in? On KDE, I think it should be in the 'Utilities' area.
You're right, my bad. I looked in "Tools" but didn't notice that there are two submenus for "System Tools" and "Accessibility". Filelight does indeed appear under "System Tools", I just missed it, sorry.

For Filezilla and Hugin, there are .desktop files in /usr/share/applications (not in kde like filelight has) and neither appear in the menu (or submenus).

As to the other problems, can you confirm that the readme.pdf and lesezmoi.pdf are both incorrectly referring to 2007.1 Spring, and have you got any idea why digikam can't connect to either of my cameras?

I just downloaded and installed ALL of the latest updates which included drakconf and harddrake and so on..

Results:- 1. Still no Left Thumb button capability on the Mouse.

2. I commmented the sbp2 work around in modprobe-preload and rebooted. Still no Firewire Scanner detection. Had to uncomment it to get scanner functioning again.

3. Rebooted and still got no sound. Checked KMIX and saw the unwanted via as the default still.

Rebooted once more and this time I got sound. Checked kmix and saw that Soundblaster was the one shown.

Obviously something in 2008 is flakey i.e. unstable, because there is no such problem in my 2007-spring.

From previous experience, ifI reboot again I will likely have no sound again but then I might, one just cannot count on it to stay fixed.

cheers. John.

As to the other problems, can you confirm that the readme.pdf and lesezmoi.pdf are both incorrectly referring to 2007.1 Spring, and have you got any idea why digikam can't connect to either of my cameras?

I checked on the bugzilla (should have done that before, sorry) - and found one already listed for the readme gaffe (34872). There's also one for a digikam problem (33070) but I'm not sure if that's the same as mine. As an experiment I tried it again, running One from the CD, and got the same errors as before. I added my sources for 2008 using rpmdrake and checked for updates (tons of open office and mozilla, no digikam or gphoto2). So I urpme'd digikam, used mub's easy-urpmi to set my sources to 2007.1 and tried to urpmi digikam again - but it didn't work, it relied on older versions of stuff although it didn't say what. So I changed my sources to cooker and did manage to urpmi 0.9.3 of digikam, but it had no effect - I still got errors trying to connect to my Canon Ixus v2 and my Panasonic FZ5. I'm thinking it might be deeper than digikam though, because even Konqueror can't browse the FZ5's file system... and on the FZ5's screen, where normally it says "PC" when connected to the laptop, the "PC" symbol only briefly flashed up before disappearing. So that's when I ran out of ideas and gave up. I would add this to the bugzilla but qa.mandriva.com appears to be down at the moment.

In the meantime I'm sticking with 2007.1.

• 3 weeks later...

Yay, the digikam problem seems to be fixed now: http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=35642

It's mentioned in the errata list as only affecting Canon but the summary mentions also Olympus and I couldn't connect to either Canon or Panasonic cameras. I'll try the fix tonight if it's up on the mirrors already.

Thanks to spiny for the "errata" heads-up! :)

Yay, the digikam problem seems to be fixed now: http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=35642

It's mentioned in the errata list as only affecting Canon but the summary mentions also Olympus and I couldn't connect to either Canon or Panasonic cameras. I'll try the fix tonight if it's up on the mirrors already.

Thanks to spiny for the "errata" heads-up! :)

I wrote the errata entry based on the security team's advisory, I'll update it to be less specific. thanks!