Help me get control center back [solved]

Guest linuxuser32

Okay, ilia was faster, but here's the long version ;-)

Please check if you still have urpmi installed - so do as root:

"rpm -q urpmi". If the result is positive, do an "urpmi drakconf". This requires you still have software repositories properly installed. If not, you could add them again using easy-urpmi.

If urpmi is gone too, you could download and install the urpmi package manually using rpm.pbone.net or a similar search engine. But this has some possible flaws: First you have to pick the exactly fitting version for your Mandriva system. Besides that you may have to install other packages urpmi depends on which you probably have removed along the way.

Here's a list of requirements for 2007.1, output taken from the server above:

perl(Getopt::Long)	
perl-Locale-gettext => 1.05-4mdv	
perl(POSIX)	
perl(Exporter)	
eject	
/bin/sh	
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1	
/usr/bin/perl	
perl(Locale::gettext)	
perl-MDV-Packdrakeng => 1.01	
perl(Cwd)	
gnupg	
gzip	
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1	
perl-base	
perl(File::Find)	
perl(MDV::Distribconf)	
webfetch	
perl-URPM => 1.60	
perl-base => 2:5.8.8	
perl(URPM::Resolve)	
perl(URPM)

Depending on what you actually did more or less of these may be missing, too. So if you get a feeling of becoming lost, you may backup your /home directory, if not residing on a partition of it's own and reinstall. A carefully customized install would be proper in the latter case.

If you want to take the high road and gather some valuable experience, try step by step manually first (you'll never erase mcc accidently again after ;-).

Good luck!

Another thought, it can be really useful to have some kind of backup program installed, in case anything happens to hose up your system. I'm relatively new to linux, and have royally stuffed it up several times now. Sometimes the easiest way has been to restore to an earlier time, leaving your home partition alone (if you don't have a seperate home partition, it's a great idea to change that.).

I can recommend Mondo, which is in the repositories. I've never tried rsnapshot, but that another similar program which looks really good.

Sorry that none of this will help you now, but it might save you hassles in the future. Good luck.

Another possibly useful goodie is urpmi-recover. From the docs:

Summary : A tool to manage rpm repackaging and rollback

Description :

urpmi-recover is a tool that enables to set up a policy to keep trace of all

packages that are uninstalled or upgraded on an rpm-based system, and to

perform rollbacks, that is, to revert the system back to a previous state.

Another possibly useful goodie is urpmi-recover. From the docs:

Summary : A tool to manage rpm repackaging and rollback

Description :

urpmi-recover is a tool that enables to set up a policy to keep trace of all

packages that are uninstalled or upgraded on an rpm-based system, and to

perform rollbacks, that is, to revert the system back to a previous state.

That sounds very sensible. One of the things I've disliked about urpmi is that there is no link between the packages initially selected, and the dependencies installed alongside them. Ie if I uninstall an rpm package which I installed earlier, the dependencies usually stay in the system. To deal with this I've created a "/usr/local/system.info/dependencies" folder, with 777 permissions. Every package I install gets recorded there, and if I have to restore my system to an earlier time, usually with Mondo, then this info changes to that time as well. Has helped me out a few times. That said, sounds like the package you suggest sounds much simpler. Will look into it. Thanks!

And I'm also curious linuxuser32, how did you solve your problem?

Another possibly useful goodie is urpmi-recover.

Right...just installed this, how do I use it? Can't find it anywhere on my system, and can't find any command to launch it from the command line...