Ubuntu 7.10 is released!

Artificial Intelligence

Mine finished about 2am downloading 800MB of packages or thereabouts. My upgrade process was:

Edit /etc/apt/source-list and replace feisty with gutsy.
aptitude update
aptitude upgrade
aptitude dist-upgrade

then, after that had finished, I issues:

aptitude update
aptitude upgrade
aptitude dist-upgrade

to upgrade packages that didn't make it the first time around. On checking again after this, all packages were updated, and no further updates were needed. System running fine :)

Maybe there is an easier way, but this simply worked perfectly for me.

Just installed on a second partition on my Macbook Pro (wiped out XP on that partition) and so far from the stuff I've played with its running like a champ. Now with Mac OSX and Linux I am complete again. :D

Congratz! B)

Maybe there is an easier way, but this simply worked perfectly for me.

If that methode works then it's cool. I think it's easier way if you use Ubuntu (gnome), I'm not sure with XFCE.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

I updated the system and it did reveal the update button. OK, I tried updating, but for some reason it said it doesn't have enough room in the /-partition. This is weird as there is a total of 2.5 GB of root-partition.

edit

It complained it needed a total of 1GB in / and I should free additional 300+ MB of HD space.

/edit

I cleaned the temp-folder (or something like that it told me to do), but no. The same error message.

Then I even did a clean reinstall (that was Xubuntu 7.04 in VirtualBox in Mandriva 2008 host) adding to the root partition, but no.

Originally I had these partitions:

2500 MB of /

500 MB of swap

5000 MB of /home

Well, I'm downloading the ubuntu 7.10 and installing the 7.10 from scratch.

Edited by dude67

Just played around with the Live-CD. Finally, Ubuntu is able to set up the resolution of my widescreen monitor correctly (other distros did that for ages, but Ubuntu and Debian somehow were unable to do so). All in all it is a very nice release, although there are two things that were a bit puzzling for me.

1. The boot-process seemed to stall at one area, but when I checked the DVD drive, I saw that it was still reading. The progress bar not reacting at all for some ten to fifteen seconds. I was already tempted to hit the reset button, when the bar suddenly reacted again. A second try show me that the system really did not stall at all but went from one type of progress bar to another. I guess this could be improved, as - as I said - hitting the reset button seemed to be reasonable although it wasn't.

2. The release still ships with no firewall-configurationtool by default. I find that this is still a major downpoint in Ubuntu, especially as most newcomers don't know about firewall applications like firestarter or guarddog. I had hoped that they had finally included one by now... Maybe next time. The space on the CDs cannot be the issue. If it is, then they should consider dropping the "examples" folder with the videos and such stuff. That is imho the most irrelevant "package" in the whole distro.

Apart from that, it feels polished and quite snappy. But I will stick to fedora and Mandriva. I am more familiar with both systems, prefer the root account and - they support my canon laserprinter, while Ubuntu is still a bit problematic in this respect. But I don't blame Ubuntu for that but Canon, who only tested their printer in Red Hat and SUSE, thus only ship rpm packages. Sure, they can be transformed into debs, but even then, the printer is more buggy in debian based distros than distros that use rpms. :juggle:

I'm a happy Ubuntu 7.10 user through VirtualBox in Mandriva. B)

Now all I have to do is learn how to use it (out of all the distros I've mostly only used Mandriva). I don't even know where to find stuff yet (there is no Mandirva-type MCC or anything like that, is there...). But that subject is perhaps best discussed in another topic and forum. ;)

There are slight problems either with Ubuntu or VirtualBox as Ubuntu gets aborted every now and then (at least once a day), but it is fairly fast to restart.

Here's a screenshot of that.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs19/f/2007/293...x_by_Dude67.png

It is running right now on a VMWare machine... fresh install, so no problems while installing. It runs without issues, but quite slowly - much slower than the Mandriva 2008 VM, and like a snail, compared to my Arch64 VM.

It is sort-of-solid, but... uhhh, not inspiring. Surely enough I MUCH prefer my glorious and ultra-solid Debian unstable (Sidux) virtual machine.

Sorry, but Ubuntu has become the most noobish distro out there- both in the good, and the bad sense. I am currently feeling the bad sense of it.

If you want Linux to take a bite into the mainstream you are gonna have to contend with "noobish." Can't say you want one thing and then complain about it. It is gonna be the "noobish" that helps it. Sorry but can't have your cake and eat it too. Besides Ubuntu is still Linux. You don't have to use all the "noobish" controls in it.

Edited by FX

If Ubuntu and Mandriva and any other distro manage to attract the "noobs", then it's fine with me, as long as they don't cripple the system (=take away important features that the poweruser might want to have) or as long as there are still distros available that are aimed at the more experienced, like fedora, debian, slack, gentoo, arch,...

That said, I think that Mandriva made the right decisions. Quite easy to use for newcomers and still powerful under the hood and versatile. The default Ubuntu is admittedly more geared toward newcomers, but then there is still the server CD available which you can use in order to build a cutomized system if I am not mistaken. Or simply do a default install and then customize it. The tools are there.

And I will not discuss the pros and cons of sudo again. We had this discussion already several times. ;)