I need some help from GIMP wizards

dexter11

I like the new menu button I just want to make it smaller. Basically I need to crop out a piece of it. The problem is that the GIMP crop tool keeps what I selected with it and throws away the rest instead of throwing away what I selected and keeping the rest.

You can see the original button (the bigger of course) and what I'd like to achieve in the attachments. To workaround the problem with the crop tool I just made a new image and copied over the parts I need. Now it's almost what I wanted but this new image has white corners I don't want. How can I make an image without the white corners? Because I have 4 more resolutions to crop.

The original: post-10578-1192636768_thumb.png

The new one: post-10578-1192636782.png

If I follow your description correctly Dexter, instead of cropping to your selection you should select clear from the edit menu. Then you can select what you need, and copy it. Then create a new image and select from options (or whatever it is) to have the background as transparent instead of background colour, Then paste your copied image from your first selection. That should give you the required result I think. I hope all that makes sense to you. :unsure:

Thank you. You were great help.

If anyone's interested you can find the modified kmenu buttons in the attachement for all available resolutions. To use it you first of all have to get rid of the text "Menu". To achieve this you have to add

ShowText=false

into your kickerrc under the [KMenu] section.

Now you have to copy the image as mdv_kmenu.png to /var/lib/mandriva/kde-profiles/free/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps. If you want to keep the old file then rename it first then copy the new one. Note that this path can change according to your arch, release and kicker size. The path I wrote is correct if you are using the 32bit edition of Free release and the kicker is using the 32 pixel size button (which is the default). Now you have to restart kicker so the changes take effect. Either logout and login or there's a command you have to issue using konsole:

dcop kicker kicker restart

By using this command net_applet and mdkapplet disappeared from my kicker but they were there again after restarting.

The buttons: mdv_kmenubuttons.tar.bz2.txt

remove the txt extension from the file name. It's there because the board won't let me upload it otherwise.