Mandriva 2008.0 Power Pack Review

spinynorman

Full review at Software in Review.

I read the entire review.

I also read this review: http://www.linux.com/articles/119783

Stuff the first review complained about, the other review raved about. Of course, the linux.com review pretty much sounds like an advertisement from mandriva. Since the 2nd review is so glowing, I'm gonna believe the first one instead.

Where do you buy the Powerpack DVD or CDs?

Jem (the author of the Software in Review review) is a *very* tight reviewer. It's worth checking his reviews of other distributions and other editions of MDV to get some context. His 2008 review is one of the most positive reviews of *any* distribution he's ever written. In that sense it's not too far from the linux.com review.

And no, we had no part in writing either review. I provided Susan with her review copy of 2008 and with links to the 2008 release information on the Wiki, but that was all. She also reviewed 2007 Spring in Distrowatch Weekly a while back, so you can compare her review of that. I've discussed previous reviews with Jem, but he makes a point of having no contact with distributors immediately before writing a review - he didn't even get a press copy of 2008, he just got it through his personal account.

You can buy the Powerpack at http://store.mandriva.com/ . One-time paid download copies and the 'download subscription' service (which replaces the old paid Club membership system - you pay $69 for twelve months of download access to the Powerpack edition, that covers two releases) are available now. Boxed editions are available for pre-order and will be shipping soon, I believe.

On Compiz - the function in question should really be called Expose, as that's what Apple - who came up with it - call it. The Compiz implementation is an exact clone of the Apple feature. :) Personally I also really like it. It *does* have an advantage over the GNOME window switcher in that it's live - you can actually see what's going on in the windows in real time. This is useful if, for instance, you want to quickly monitor an ongoing IRC or IM conversation. It also looks really cool when you're playing a video, heh.

Of course, the first thing I do when setting up Compiz is move the trigger for it to the top *left* hand corner instead of the top right. I'm amazed they haven't changed this default upstream yet. Having it at the top right is crazy, for the reason neddie mentioned.

The Jem review made a point of complaining about the "Beagle" resource hog. I would also want to turn it off. The other review didn't mention anything about it, IIRC.

Wasn't there something a while back called "kat" or "cat" that was a resource hog also?

The last powerpack DVD I bought (2006 I think) was $10 from an online linux CD vendor. $89 is quite a jump. Windows XP costs $95.

Is there any software difference between the $89 box version versus the $59 "slimpack" DVD version? It's just a manual and "no manual" probably...

I notice on the mandriva website, about an "activation key"... taking lessons from MS ?

Edited by null

I read the review of Jem Matzan, he's picky as Adam said, but for him that was indeed very positive.

I believe that that kind of positive criticism is more important to the 'hey look everyone can use Linux, it just works' type of stories.

Not saying the other review was like that, but those kind of reviews are out there.

usually about Ubuntu.

Nice to see quite a few comments on the web lately (even on Slashdot and similar places) where it's said that it looks like Ubuntu is finally catching up with Mandriva in terms of GUI wizards and such - usually adding the remark that Mandriva is still ahead.

It's true that Ubuntu gets way more attention, I think that ShipIt has lots to do with that as well.

Adam, I believe that Mandriva should be sending out way more LiveCDs and Powerpacks to newspapers.

Now about 3d eye candy:

it's really useful and good for productivity, provided it works and after the initial phase of 'wow, it can do THAT...?!?!'

multiple desktops: cube: so, so, expo plugin is way better for overview.

scale (apple's expose): fabulous, if you believe that the kde or gnome window list has anything on scale you're not using your machine the way I am mine.

Open the gimp with a bunch of images and do some cross image pixel hacking... or do some video editing with Cinelerra. Too many windows with similar names.

BTW I like the shift-switcher, though I think it may not be as useful, it's just gorgeous.

And considering how many people have asked me how to get this 3d stuff going on Linux (IRL) just shows how big of an attraction it is.

Won't any of you nay-sayers think of the children? My 12 and 15 year old nephews wanted Linux, just for 'the Cube'....

3d desktop does for linux what Bill G has been doing for Windows through the educational systems: get them while they're young!

:)

Edit: forgot to mention: Jem says he's used the Powerpack, but his screenshot is of the FREE edition....

Edited by aRTee

Well, the 3D stuff is not really necessary. It IS a nice toy and yes, it draws many people to distro A or distro B but in the end, many users still have problems with 3D support while 3D doesn't work at all on many systems. From a productivity point of view, he is right, the 3D desktop is rather a nice gimmick more than anything else but from a marketing point of view it is important to offer it (sad point: Mandriva has no real marketing strategy, nor a serious marketing budget at its disposal). But I think that Mandriva made the right decision to allow users to enable it quickly but not to enable it by default.

I once thought the 3D desktop was a gimmick, but I've changed my thinking these days. If you start using the 3D desktop in Mandriva 2008 from day one and really use the cube, expose, ...etc, you'll discover that the point and click paradigm isn't as productive as we all make it out to be and that a 3D desktop can really improve your computing experience. Sure the window effects are pure eye candy, but even they effect the perception of the experience your having. Instead of configuring everything to my specific taste for the 3D desktop i selected the random effects check box and man, i must say, I have a total new found respect for what a 3D desktop adds to the total user experience. Windows folding into paper airplanes don't make me work any faster, but I don't really feel as though I'm missing anything when I see news of Apple and Microsoft releases. In fact, my coworkers huddle around me from time to time just catch a glimpse of what OS I'm using. Linux has always been for power users, but It's never had that killer look at me appeal until now. If most of us are honest much of our attraction to the Mac OS is attributed largely to the gee wiz aspect of the OS. Unix is UNIX or as some say, you can put make up on a pig, but it's still a pig. They do a great job of KISS (keep it simple stupid) but the fact that it's so pretty is their #1 marketing tool.

Edited by guppetto