LVM or Exiting Partition Scheme

sglafata

Hello all!

I am in the process of downloading the new Mandriva 2008 and was thinking about partitioning. I've noticed since 2007.0 that Mandriva now offers LVM as a partitoning scheme. I've always stuck to my existing partitioning scheme, but it seems that this is the route most Linux distros are going. I was wondering about people's experience with LVM. I have had my partitioning scheme in place since Mandrake 9.x. It's very broken up (in case anything happens to a particular partition, it will not hose the rest of my system). I currently have /, /usr, /usr/local, /home, /tmp, /var and /boot each on their own partitions (and of course my swap partition).

Would it make sense to move to LVM or keep my existing partitions? I have 3 machines partitioned in this manner (again due to successful experience).

Mandrake 2007.0

AMD Athlon64 3500+

2GB RAM

ATI All-In-Wonder X600

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

Edited by sglafata

My experience with LVM so far is that it works, but is hard to manage.

- It is next to impossible to resize most partitions on a live system (without a live CD nor an alternate OS).

- There are no reliable and easy-to-use tools for managing LVM (most users don't care that filesystem- and partition-resizing are two different things).

- While adding to a LVM is easy, I see no easy way to remove a physical volume (eg: you want to get your old drive back for an empty PC case you have), or shift storage space (eg: you want to add a big drive to LVM, and remove a small drive from LVM, and the data previously maybe on the small drive to remain safe).

Yves.