This is starting to get ridiculous...

Guest greeneggs

Guest fubar::chi

i said

What happened to me was the devfsd daemon was not running properly (took a very long time to start up i think) and I turned off the computer because of this.
------------------^ freeze

and he said

Yes, the problems you describe are EXACTLY what happens to me.

So that's where the freeze comes in. I also remember reading somewhere in this thread that his computer would get stuck and he would turn it off.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greeneggs
i said
What happened to me was the devfsd daemon was not running properly (took a very long time to start up i think) and I turned off the computer because of this.
------------------^ freeze

and he said

Yes, the problems you describe are EXACTLY what happens to me.

So that's where the freeze comes in. I also remember reading somewhere in this thread that his computer would get stuck and he would turn it off.

Yes, what do you think I should do about this?. I am tempted to do a reinstall but if I do, are there any particular options I should choose or not choose this time?. Is there anything special I should do (ie; use a different version of XFree, use Gnome instead of KDE, uncheck certain options?. I really want to put this thing behind me and get back to enjoying Linux again after several days of using Windoze (which is crappy at best).

Thank's

when you get to the lilo section you may want to turn off APIC or ACPI (i'd go with acpi unless you use a laptop) other than that i have no re-install hints/strategies

Guest greeneggs

So after an immense (and greatly appreciated) effort to help me through this problem, what have we finally decided the problem is and perhaps, more importantly, how can it be avoided in the future?

I am really anxious to get MDK 9.1 working again. It is a beautiful, eye-candy-ish piece of software but I am afraid to install it all over again for fear of having the same problem.

What can I do?. Any final ideas or suggestions?.

We haven't decided what the problem is. I'm suggesting that you're apparent freezes during startup are either perceived because of slow devsfd startup or real possibly because of usb problems (as in my case). You disk cooking may have been due to an errant process going wild and you've been instructed to

::

Use kde sysguard to find (and I'd suggest kill) the process and

Use the Alt+SysRQ sequence when something does make your computer unresponsive.

Since you're problem was (as you put it) "EXACTLY" like mine i'd think things in the /usr/X11R6 directory are fubar and you can either reinstall X and kde from the command line (although I'd think there are more underlying probs) or REINSTALL.

That is my non-expert one mandrake user to another opinion. Suggestion for what to do when reinstalling are in my previous posts. amalgamate and enjoy.

:: PS ::

Sleep on it and decide tomorrow

Guest greeneggs
We haven't decided what the problem is. I'm suggesting that you're apparent freezes during startup are either perceived because of slow devsfd startup or real possibly because of usb problems (as in my case). You disk cooking may have been due to an errant process going wild and you've been instructed to 

Use kde sysguard to find (and I'd suggest kill) the process and

Use the Alt+SysRQ sequence when something does make your computer unresponsive. 

Since you're problem was (as you put it) "EXACTLY" like mine i'd think things in the /usr/X11R6 directory are fubar and you can either reinstall X and kde from the command line (although I'd think there are more underlying probs) or REINSTALL.

That is my non-expert one mandrake user to another opinion. Suggestion for what to do when reinstalling are in my previous posts. amalgamate and enjoy.

:: PS :: 

Sleep on it and decide tomorrow

I won't be "sleeping on it and enjoying" because as I indicated in previous posts, I have already done all of these recommended things. The remaining things which I hav'nt already tried, I am either unable to do because I don't have access to do them -or- I don't know how to do them. You seem to be upset (in two of your posts) about the fact that I said our problems seemed to be identicle for some reason. The reason I said that is because our problems ARE very much identicle but it seems that we have gone done different paths to solve our respective problems. It worked for you, however, it is not working for me and I am still without a desktop and black screens just are'nt my "thing". Heck, if I wanted a black screen I would just use DOS or something. I don't think I will be installing MDK if I'm going to be going through this each time. I'll probably just install RedHat again (which I personally don't like) but really, what choice do I have?.

- Peace

you misunderstand my emphasizing that we have the same problem that was just for bvc's benefit. I'm actually far from pissed (can't even stop grinning as i write this). Anyways you seem to want me to tell you what to do. i'm not going to do that. i made suggestions in my previous posts which you can choose follow or not. If you don't know how to do something specify so that I or someelse here can tell you. It just seemed as if you didn't read my previous posts because you were asking the same question over and over "what do I do?"

Well, a lot has been said that doesn't make sense, a lot has been asked that hasn't been answered, and a lot of suggestions have been offered that haven't been tried.

It started with

I'm sitting there surfing the web, writing a letter, minding my own business when all of a sudden my HD begins cooking like crazy and everything gets really slow so I reboot.
and 3 pages later......
i'd suggest a reinstall of mdk this time when the "freeze" happens leave it alone for 5 minutes
The only place anything like a freeze was described is a diff thread

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4333

Finally, I decided to reboot but the hard drive was cooking so hard that it took forever and so finally I just hit CTRL/ALT/DEL and shut the computer down.
I don't know about you but extremely slow response to anything is normal when slocate or msec is updating, kde is running, with 5 browser windows open, d4X, xmms, gvim all running as well, so this is no suprise to me at all, although his specs rank a little better than mine, hardware is hardware, a pc is a pc, and the kernel is the kernel so all this means nothing. You know as well as I do when it comes to the kernel a properly configured/compatible 500Celeron with 128MBRAM and a 7200RPM HD can out perform a none-configured/noncompatible chipset/mobo 1Gpentium with 256MBRAM 7200RPM HD.

....and finally none of the symptoms you've had in common with greeneggs were ever mentioned, not to mention

eventually weird things started happening. See if any of this sounds familiar
when greeneggs is going on a 2 day old install, eventually is not very likely. What one calls rain another calls a storm. This is just my some of my reasons.

greeneggs, you've tried. With all you've got going right now, what else can be expected? I'd suggest going ahead with a fresh install and going to the Mandrake Control Center>System>DrakXServices and turning off all unnecessary services. There're post and links all over the board for tips (Search for "services"). The open and get familiar with KDE System Guard>Process Table tab and watch for what's going on. In addition to this, open a terminal>su to root>tail -f /var/log/messages.

I'm done here.

Looks like I may have been on the right track. Your system is hosed to the point you will have to follow bvc's command line advice to uninstall and reinstall things, then redo config files and symlinks, and I don't think you really want to go that way. So I would say to start totally from scratch (clean install).

NOTE: How are we booting between windows and linux, if your not duel booting ? May want to answer this before going any farther.

Brief outline on what I would do:

1) Begin by deleting your partitions on your Linux drive. If you don't know how, just format it from windows.

2) Read the "Before installing" section here:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/install.html

3) Unplug any USB devices you can --- seems these are causing problems all over. We can fix them up later.

4) Choose install (NOT upgrade, which should not even come up now) and choose the ext3 or ReiserFS choice to format.

5) Choose the 4 version of XFree, unless you know for sure your video card won't work with it. If this is wrong version --- we can fix this later.

6) Don't try picking your packages to install, let the installer do what ever it wants to. We can also fix these things later.

7) Wait patiently, even 10 -15 minutes, before hitting the reset

8) Once we get a desktop --- let's install those updates --- before problems come back.

bvc, i think you may be right, i could have been mixing and matching topics. all the more reason to go to bed now :)

fubar::out

Guest greeneggs
bvc, i think you may be right, i could have been mixing and matching topics. all the more reason to go to bed now :)

fubar::out

Perhaps I you misunderstand your emphasis on the fact that we were having the same problem because of the way you phrased it or perhaps it was just a bit of old fashioned miscommunication (easy over the net). No hard feelings. BVC is right though. When you get a lot of people giving advice, getting advice, etc, pretty soon, noone can figure out who is addressing who and who's advice has already been taken/not taken. It get's rather confusing after awhile and it's easy to have misunderstandings and confusion. Also, I actually don't want you to tell me "what to do" per se (as you suggested) but rather, I'm looking for advice from *anyone* who is willing to offer it. I'll do some more reading here and take everyone's advice (including yours - which I've already tried as I indicated earlier) and in the end, I'm sure this will get sorted out :)

- Peace

Guest greeneggs

Scoopy - interesting point you make...

In the very beginning (even before I had this problem) I was getting an error each time I tired to boot up to Linux and was even unable to bring up the desktop sometimes. Someone asked me if I had a zip drive and told me that this could be the cause of my problem. Well, as a matter of fact, I DO have a zip drive and as soon as I put a disk in it and booted up with the disk IN IT, the problem went away. I'm wondering if this most recent problem I'm having could have something to do with my zip drive...you think?

Guest greeneggs
I'm done here.

Does this mean your tired of dealing with my problem and beyond the advice you've already given me, this is the proverbial "end of the road" and you won't be helping me anymore with this particular problem?.

Gee thank's

Look, I can't help it if I'm a "newbie". I have tried everything you guys have told me to try and I appreciate the advice I have been given but it's just not working for whatever reason. I will not be installing MDK again as I've already done this twice and if the OS were any good (which it is while it's WORKING), I would never be having to go through this ordeal in the first place. I did'nt have any of these problems with Windoze, MAC or even RedHat or MDK 8.2 back when I was using it. Why am I having it with MDK?.

Sorry, I just feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here. Sort of like being teased by a beautiful OS for two days...only to lose my confidence in it and not be able to use it the next day. I did'nt do anything at all to cause this problem and I KNOW it takes awhile for the various processes to load at boot but 20 minutes??. It's obvious that this is a bug. Maybe not in MDK but perhaps in XFree or one of several hundered other programs that make up the Linux OS. Maybe one of MDK's components are still in alpha or beta and a bit buggy. Whatever the reason, it ain't working plain and simple.

Guest greeneggs

Hey guys

Sorry for the "tude". I've been under a tremendous amount of stress lately and I am not at all my usual self. Anyway, I will go ahead and do a reinstall here in a few minutes and follow the advice I have been given and then post again (from my Linux box) which will probably be easier since I will actually be using Linux when I post here again and therefore will be able to follow the instructions a lot better.

See you all in about an hour or two :D

Guest greeneggs

Ok, I just did exactly what you people recommended (well, the majority of you anyway) and here's my story...

1) I reformatted my HD (I only used one HD - no dual boot)

2) I unplugged all USB devices (my cam and zip drive)

3) I chose v4 of XFree

4) I chose ACPI and turned off APIC for Lilo

5) I chose full install (no update)

6) I used ext3

After the install, I rebooted and loads of errors (the same error message over and over again) scrolled down the screen. I shut the computer down because there was really nothing else I could do and rebooted and I got that black screen I was describing earlier for a few minutes followed by a screen asking me if I wanted to log off and requesting my password. No, I did NOT want to "log off" but I went ahead anyway.

I then rebooted and got a message inviting me to press "Y" for an integrity check (whcih I did). It rebuilt my "lost and found" and "optimized" my file system" and then I get another line scrolling down telling me that it has "failed to check the file system" and "would I like to repair these errors". Yes, I sure as heck DID want to repair them and so I typed yes and hit enter. I was also remined that I "could lose data". What followed was a bunch of stuff telling me that it was checking my inodes, blocks and sizes and checking the directory structure.

Anyway, so after it finally boots up and gets past all the scrolling text, it looks like KDE might be about to come up but then it just freezes and I am left staring at that Unix clock for about 15 minutes. I've used Linux for about a year and a half now and I know this can't possably be right and so (with no other choice) I shut the computer down. As I did this, I get a bunch of freaky, faded-out colors on the screen and by now I have just about had enough of this crap and am ready to go back to Windows and be done with it already.

I'm not a Linux basher. I have used it successfully for awhile and although I am no "guru", I have brains enough to know when something does'nt work because I am clueless about it and when something does'nt work because there is a problem with the OS. I never had this problem with RedHat and the only thing reason I'd rather use MDK instead is because MDK has much better support for KDE programs and almost all software runs on it without much fuss. RedHat is much more corporate and Microsoft-ish and I've had a few go-a-rounds with their support department more than once. There's no sense of community and it's all business. I could go on and on but I don't want to get sued or something. Anyway, at least I tried. If anyone has any more ideas, I'm willing to listen, otherwise I'm going back to RedHat.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with my hard drives, RAM, etc and I'm not some flaming noob. I've been using windows since 1984, Linux since MDK v8.2, have run a successful busness on the internet for the last 5 years and am fluent in several languages (VB, Javascript, CSS, HTML and a wee bit of Perl). I don't say this to brag but rather to demonstrate that this is'nt some "newbie" issue. Something in MDK has bugs and until it's fixed (ie; in v9.2), I'm afraid this horse ain't winning any races.

Ideas?. I'm all ears!