VoIP Help [solved]

Mitchell

Hi folks, here's the dilemms; was using a voip service with xlite softphone very successfully before I switched to linux, now I can't use ANY voip service at all. Tried several phones, from ekiga to idefsk to twinkle and a linux version of xlite. All end up with the same problems, server times out and I can't make, or receive calls. Gave up after awhile using 2001.1, and have just been trying again with 2008.0. For 10 blessed minutes I was able to make calls to my mobile, then the timeout failed. At first (using twinke) I could restart my computer, open twincle, be asked for a password and user settings to my account, then be able to make calls for another few minutes...before it dropped out an I was getting the 'server reques timeout' message. Tried xlite again, looged in briefly, couldn't make any calls, then won't log in again. What gives? Tried disabling my firewall, opening ports tcp/udp: 5060, setting my security level to poor in the MCC, nothing will work. Even uninstalled twinkle, erased the .twinkle folder under my user home to get rid of any settings, then reinstalled. Still no luck. What am I doing wrong. I've no intention of going back to windows just for this...but it was so bloody easy...

Any and all help is appreciated.

~Mitchell

Edited by Mitchell

Just to let you know that someone is reading your post. I can't answer your question. I did use Ekiga for quite a while on mandy 2006 with little or no problem. Have not used it quite a while.

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Hopefully someone else will have more info for me. Cheers!

~Mitchell

I'm not sure it will be of much help, but X-lite works for me. I found configuring it to get it work was a real pain. There seems to be a dearth of instructions on how to set up the linux version. Google eventually found an Irish ISP that had a guide of sorts that helped me. Sorry , but I can't find the url.

I don't use it often. Most of my contacts are Skype users.

Jim

Have you had a look through the logs Mitchell? Maybe something in there that could help. Also there is forum type website for Ekiga 'Nabble' something or other like that. I think there is a link in the app help menu. It is a text only website but is very useful. I'll try and look up the address for you when I get home.

You will find the log files in /var/log and you will need to su root to gain access. Two files will be of interest and they are messages and syslog. Both are quite long but if you look for reference to your softphone usage you may find something.

The forum address I was talking about before is http://www.nabble.com/Ekiga-f1245.html if you want to give that a try.

I have just fired up Ekiga and logged into my accounts without any problems. I can't use it though because I am behind that BT Home Hub and they won't let me use any other softphone without putting my machine into a DMZ.

• 3 months later...

Just letting people know this is now solved. Problem was my hardware; I was using a Voip enabled modem (Zyxel Pristige 2000 series) and trying to run a softphone through it... very difficult. Apparently this is a common problem. Now I'm using a netgear adsl 2+ enabled modem with NO voip support, with a TAV Netgear Voip adapter plugged into it. My phone plugs into the Voip adapter, which plugs into my modem. My computer is only plugged into the modem. No hassles at all. Twinkle works fine, and so does my other voip account.