Kernel 2.6.17.5mdv compile problems

This has probably been covered somewhere before but i can't find it anywhere. Anyway, I found the RPM file for the 2.6.17.5 kernel on installation disc one and installed it with no hang-ups or anything. When i tried to compile source code with the MAKE command, it replied with:

Makefil.inc:91: *** KERNELCONF: /lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdv/build/.config does not exist.. Stop.

No problem, i thought. I logged in as root and found the necessary configuration files in the /boot directory, so i copied them into /lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdv/build/. I logged back in and tried it again, only to be greeted with the same resonse as above.

So i tried an earlier version of an i386 kernel RPM, installed perfectly, and still the same problem. I may be whining but this is really driving me up the wall :wall:

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Edited by Countable

You need to install the kernel-source package that matches your running kernel. It really depends on what you want to do- for most tasks kernel-source-stripped is enough.

In the /boot directory you just have some kernel images, and some pretty irrelevant configuration files. You shouldn't have touched them.

Proceed like that:

1. Open a root console and

urpmi kernel-latest kernel-source-stripped-latest

Those two are metapackages, which will actually bring you the latest kernel for your release (it is 2.6.17-13) and the corresponding kernel headers.

2. Those headers will suffice for most compilation tasks, but not all. In that case, just remove the stripped pakage ( urpme kernel-source-stripped-latest) and do:

urpmi kernel-source-latest

This one will suffice for ALL compilation tasks, but it is quite big, and takes quite a lot of space on HD.

PS: There's no need to warn you that installing that obscure i386 kernel RPM on your system was a terrible idea, which may bring you a lot of trouble... is it?

Edited by scarecrow

I stand corrected. After i reinstalled mandriva there was still no kernel. I tried the easy URPMI page but that didnt work either. I also tried updating the kernel with urpmi kernel-source-latest and it said kernel-source-latest doesnt exist.

... :huh:

Some lame explanations my way:

1. You were a windoze user, and tried to solve the issue windoze-way ( = reinstalling). Of course, it didn't work... hardly surprising! :P

In Linux, a reinstall rarely cures, anything.

2. After the reinstall, you surely enough DID have a kernel. Else, you won't be able to boot at all... :D

3. To be able to use packages like "kernel-source-stripped-latest" and such, your primary concern, instead of reinstalling, windoze-like, would be following the Easy-Urpmi link on top of the page to set your repos.

4. A windoze geek may well be a Linux n00b... The opposite may also apply, although it's not the case, usually... :lol2: