I only have 68 mb of memory available?

Guest Valduare

Guest Valduare

i rightclick my usb drive in devices and hit properties and it says i only have 68 megs total memory (ram) to use

i cant download anything barly with that small ammount. how do i increase it. my laptop has about 256 megs of ram total. and i have a 2 gig usb drive that im booting from.

Don't worry about it. While the amount of physical ram you have is a bare minimum, Linux should handle all ok. Just leave Linux to do its thing.

It does not use memory in the same way as Windows does. Thinking Windows and Linux do things the same way is a huge mistake.

I would strongly suggest that you at least double your physical memory but mainly for faster response. Let's face it, memory is pretty cheap now days.

By the way I think you have got things wrong. When you right click on your USB drive in Devices you are NOT shown Memory. What you are shown is the size of your USB drive, its installed data and free space.

It cannot show you memory from that position.

I just checked with my USB drive to prove it.

Cheers. John

i rightclick my usb drive in devices and hit properties and it says i only have 68 megs total memory (ram) to use

i cant download anything barly with that small ammount. how do i increase it. my laptop has about 256 megs of ram total. and i have a 2 gig usb drive that im booting from.

Two possible reasons as my guess:

a) Your USB drive is partitioned and your only seeing a small part of it. Is it the same USB drive you're booting from? Then you should not wonder why...

b) Some of your Laptops memory will probably be used for GFX display (check BIOS settings).

Check your RAM typing in a terminal

free

This will show you the RAM that you have in total, as well as buffered, used and cached RAM.

And I second John. What you are shown must be the disk-space (used and unused), not RAM. If you want to free up space on the usb-drive, then burn some stuff that you don't need day in and day out to CD/DVD and remove old logfiles and such stuff.

Guest satkinsn

A related question from a new - and delighted - MCN user.

When I decided to move my MCN boot from a 2 gig key to a new 8 gig key, I went thru' the usual, including setting the loopback to retain changes.

The live cd would only let me use about 2 gigs of the eight gig total, and when I right click on the device, it shows a total of 2.4 gigs for space, and 160 megs free.

I'd like to be able to use the full eight gigs, but am not sure if I can, at this point.

Thoughts?

Scott Atkinson

Watertown, NY

Scott,

you should be able to use the remaining free space on the flash drive, outside of the loop image, as normal storage space.

You can access and write to it under /mnt/<somewhere>

You can store all files, documents etc there.

Only added software/programs and settings etc are useful in the loop image.

We have limited - in the wizard - the loop image size to 2 GB. I did not think of people with 8 GB flash drives.

You could edit the script to give you a larger option (though you would need to create a new loop image).

/usr/local/bin/mkmcnlive-loop

Search for the term: max-value=$MAX

Replace $MAX with your size, in MB, example: 3 GB would be: 3000

('max-value=$MAX' shows up twice in the script, for the vfat and ext3 filesystem options)

--chris

Edited by chris:b

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.