Mandriva 2008: No sound suddenly [solved]

kurt_ram

I installed Mandriva 2008 yesterday. I've been installing and removing some new apps since this morning and I notice that there is no sound anymore. When I try to play an mp3 in Amarok, it behaves as if everything is working fine. But, I hear no sound from my speakers. It used to work fine before. Even earlier, there were times when there was no sound after boot up and I had to restart to get sound back. But, atleast i was able to do this at that time. Now, rebooting doesn't help. I have not installed/modified any package related to sound. I dont know what I did wrong.

Is it possible that the problem is because of my hardware configuration? I have 2 soundcards on my system. One of them is an integrated sound card (VIA) that I have disabled on BIOS (but, it still shows up in the Device list in Mandriva). The other one is a Creative Audigy ZS (this is what I want to use).

How do I troubleshoot this issue? Can anyone help me?

Appreciate your help.

=Kurt=

[moved from Software - arctic]

I bet that the problem is caused by using two soundscards. You should disable harddrake in the Mandriva Control Center (MCC), which will check for new hardware at bootup and then reconfigure your soundcard with one of the graphical tools available or using the command line. If you have two soundcards in your system and harddrake enabled, it will always check the whole system for new hardware and reconfigure the system if it thinks that it's necessary.

I have disabled harddrake in MCC. I'm not sure what you mean by

and then reconfigure your soundcard with one of the graphical tools available or using the command line.

How do I do this? I went to MCC ->Manage Your Hardware -> Browse and Configure Hardware. But, I couldn't do anything from there. I guess I'm not doing the right thing here. Can you please point me to the correct tool?

EDIT1: I tried stopping ALSA service by going to MCC and I got this error:

Shutting down ALSA sound driver (version 1.0.14): no. (sound is being used by pid 7110 7110 7110))[Failed]

Looks like some process is still using ALSA. Could this be due to the default "Start-Up" sound? Why is this happening? I guess I can disable the start-up sound and see if it works. I'll try that now. Is there a good fix for this issue other than turning off start-up sound?

EDIT2: I disabled my Start-Up sound and it didn't help. After restarting, when I tried to stop ALSA service, I got an error again saying some process is using it. It appears as if the audigy module is using it. Because, after I killed the process (by PID) that was using ALSA, going to kMix, wouldn't list "Audigy" as one of the options. It displayed only VIA.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by kurt_ram

You go into MCC then System then into Enable or disable the system services then look for harddrake and untick it.

close out and reboot then do the configure your sound as suggested to you.

Cheers,\. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

John, Thanks for your reply. Can you please tell me how to configure my sound? What is the command (or) tool I use to reconfigure the sound?

Appreciate your help.

PS: Please take a look at my edits to my previous post. I think it contains some useful info.

Thank you.

I have disabled Harddrake from starting during Boot. Also, I installed Alsaconf and ran it as root and went through the steps and configured my "Creative Audigy" sound card. Everything went through successfully. But, I still do not hear any sound.

Also, now, when I go to KDE Control Center -> Sound -> Sound System and do "Apply", when it tries to restart sound system, I get an error message saying

device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory). The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

What now? :mellow:

Again go into MCC then Hardware then into Look at and configure the hardware.

Scroll down to Sound card and highlight your sound card by clicking on it. Go across and down to and click on Run config tool.

Make sure your card is correctly identified and if the driver is not correct then select it and click OK. Ignore the onboard sound completely.

I usually reboot although some say it is unnecessary.

Cheers. John.

When you go into the Kde Control Centre.........Sound and Multimedia............Sound System, also make sure to open the Hardware tab and put a tick in Full Duplex then click Apply.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I just followed your tips and it fixed the issue. What I still do not understand is how Linux is able to see the onboard sound card even though I have it disabled in BIOS. (Windows does not detect the onboard card.)

Thank you Arctic and John.

Edited by kurt_ram

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jamesraykenney
I just followed your tips and it fixed the issue. What I still do not understand is how Linux is able to see the onboard sound card even though I have it disabled in BIOS. (Windows does not detect the onboard card.)

Thank you Arctic and John.

Linux does not use the bios after mounting the /boot partition.