Menu text in K menu panel

fahd

But I like to keep my menu button as it is now, only without this awfully looking white text "Menu". In 2007.0/2007.1 when I replaced original images in /var/lib/mandriva/kde-profiles/free/share/icons/crystalsvg with ones I made myself, then there wasn't any white text on my menu button, and in 2008.0 there's one as you can see on the picture above. How to get rid of the text?

If it is the word 'Menu' you want to get rid of then right click on the button and select one of the optional styles of button you want. One option is 'Switch to Mandriva Button' This will give you a white star on a light blue background.

This is a nice new feature for 2008. However if you want the 'original' KDE button, like the one in the beautiful screenshot in this post here. :)

You will have to add this section

[KMenu]
KMenuButtonScale=false
KmenuIcon=about_kde.png

to your ~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc

Then in a terminal do

dcop kicker kicker restart

to use the icon without restarting your Xserver.

The text is part of the image that is being used.
I don't believe it is, I just looked.

@zibi1981- Try adding this section

Edit: dexter11 has found this to work with 2008

[KMenu]
ShowText=false

Then do

to see if it works. Please let us know.

Edited by Greg2

This is a nice new feature for 2008. However if you want the 'original' KDE button, like the one in the beautiful screenshot in this post here. :)

You will have to add this section

[KMenu]
KMenuButtonScale=false
KMenuText=false
KmenuIcon=about_kde.png

Then in a terminal do

to use the icon without restarting your Xserver.

I have tried this. It does not remove the "Menu" text from the KMenu in Kicker if we are using the Kicker Menu Style. It works only when we use the KDE Menu Style. (right click on KMenu to switch between two different styles).

On a related note, I have noticed, that if I use the Kicker Menu Style, KMenu takes 6-8 seconds to bring up the menu after clicking the first time after startup. This issue does not exist if I am using the KDE Menu Style. Is this a known issue that can be fixed? Or should I open a new thread?

Please help.

Thanks.

Looks like I'm in that group too because your solution didn't work here either. This is on Mandriva 2008 Free. Since the word menu is written in Hungarian (Menü) on my button so I think the text is not part of the picture.

edit:

I found it. You have to add

ShowText=false

to your kickerrc file under the [KMenu] section and text won't be there. The bad news is that the button remains the same size. So if you want the nice round button but only with the star in it you have to edit the icon. The question is which icon cause I can't find it. More precisely I found it under /var/lib but I can't find the original one.

Edited by dexter11

I found it. You have to add
ShowText=false

to your kickerrc file under the [KMenu] section and text won't be there.

Where to add this?

[$Version]
update_info=kickerrc.upd:kde_3_1_sizeChanges,kickerrc.upd:kde_3_4_reverseLayout,kickerrc.upd:kde_
3_5_kconfigXTize

[Applet_1]
ConfigFile=clock_panelapplet_cu9rbpxryw01kc8ixylu_rc
WidthForHeightHint=115

[Applet_2]
ConfigFile=lockout_panelapplet_8z2ifwczjbrtuzj5ogum_rc
WidthForHeightHint=52

[Applet_3]
ConfigFile=systemtray_panelappletrc
WidthForHeightHint=58

[Applet_6]
ConfigFile=taskbar_panelapplet_vqe90krvxaoaaiuuknru_rc
FreeSpace2=0
WidthForHeightHint=208

[Applet_7]
ConfigFile=minipager_panelapplet_3swlu4tw9pvffiihqizb_rc
WidthForHeightHint=171

[Colors]
CurrentPalette=

[General]
Alignment=0
Applets2=KMenuButton_1,DesktopButton_1,ServiceButton_3,ServiceButton_1,Applet_7,
pplet_6,Applet_3,Applet_1,Applet_2
AutoHideDelay=3
AutoHidePanel=false
AutoHideSwitch=false
BackgroundHide=false
CustomSize=56
ExpandSize=true
FadeOutAppletHandles=true
HideAnimation=true
HideAnimationSpeed=40
HideAppletHandles=false
HideButtonSize=14
IExist=true
MenubarPanelTransparent=false
Position=3
ShowLeftHideButton=false
ShowRightHideButton=false
SizePercentage=100
TintColor=76,109,20
TintValue=61
Transparent=true
UnhideLocation=0
UntrustedApplets=
UntrustedExtensions=
XineramaScreen=0

[Main Panel]
ConfigFile=kickerrc
DesktopFile=childpanelextension.desktop
UserHidden=0

[ServiceButton_1]
StorageId=:konsole.desktop

[ServiceButton_2]
DesktopFile[$d]
FreeSpace2[$d]
StorageId[$d]

[button_tiles]
EnableBrowserTiles=false
EnableDesktopButtonTiles=false
EnableKMenuTiles=false
EnableURLTiles=false
EnableWindowListTiles=false
KMenuTile=solid_tigereye

[buttons]
EnableTileBackground=false

[menus]
DetailedEntriesNamesFirst[$d]
DetailedMenuEntries[$d]
Extensions=recentdocs.desktop,find.desktop
MenuEntryFormat=NameOnly
RecentAppsStat=20 1192525770 /usr/share/applications/opera.desktop,16 1192526252 /usr/share/applications/kde/KControl.desktop,12 1192485328 /usr/share/applications/kde/amarok.desktop,11 1192399918 /usr/share/applications/kde/konqbrowser.desktop,10 1192524677 /usr/share/applications/kde/kmix.desktop,8 1192481722 /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop,7 1192490562 /usr/share/applications/kde/Kontact.desktop,7 1192525956 /usr/share/applications/mandriva-drakconf.desktop,7 1192441569 /home/zibi1981/.local/share/applications/Firefox.desktop,4 1192529988 /usr/share/applications/kde/ksysguard.desktop,3 1192310435 /usr/share/applications/mandriva-aumix.desktop,3 1192323285 /usr/share/applications/xine-ui.desktop,3 1192482526 /usr/share/applications/kadu.desktop,2 1192527697 /usr/share/applications/kde/ktorrent.desktop,2 1192405136 /usr/share/applications/kde/k3b.desktop,2 1192323572 /usr/share/applications/smplayer.desktop,2 1192320573 /home/zibi1981/.local/share/applications/openoffice.org2.3-writer.desktop,1 1192360119 /usr/share/applications/mandriva-ppracer.desktop,1 1192443056 .hidden/fsview.desktop,1 1192323306 /usr/share/applications/kde/kaffeine.desktop,1 1192265154 /usr/share/applications/kde/klipper.desktop,1 1192316395 /usr/share/applications/kde/KMail.desktop,1 1192480598 /usr/share/applications/kde/kget.desktop,1 1192353104 /usr/share/applications/gimp.desktop