Eclipse won't start with Mandriva 2008 [solved]

Gul Dukat

Hi,

I installed Mandriva 2008 without a problem on one of my systems here. So far so good. Added the sources to my urpmi-configuration and installed java. To be exact, java-1.7.0icedtea and the plugin. Java works fine unde Firefox, which I checked at the sun site. But it doesn't when I try to start Eclipse. Eclipse gives me the following error:

An error has occurred. See the log file
/home/guldukat/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.3.0-mdv/configuration/1192401374958.log.

This is what the log-file says:

!SESSION 2007-10-14 18:36:14.279 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=I20070625-1500
java.version=1.7.0
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -Dgnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.library_control=never
Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 -Dgnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.library_control=never

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.app 2007-10-14 18:36:18.712
!MESSAGE Product org.eclipse.sdk.ide could not be found.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2007-10-14 18:36:18.810
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.RuntimeException: No application id has been found.
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppContainer.startDefaultApp(EclipseAppContainer.java:229)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppContainer.start(EclipseAppContainer.java:92)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.Activator.addingService(Activator.java:129)
at org.osgi.util.tracker.ServiceTracker$Tracked.trackAdding(ServiceTracker.java:1064)
at org.osgi.util.tracker.ServiceTracker$Tracked.track(ServiceTracker.java:1042)
at org.osgi.util.tracker.ServiceTracker$Tracked.serviceChanged(ServiceTracker.java:967)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.FilteredServiceListener.serviceChanged(FilteredServiceListener.java:94)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.dispatchEvent(BundleContextImpl.java:1224)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:195)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.ListenerQueue.dispatchEventSynchronous(ListenerQueue.java:141)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.publishServiceEventPrivileged(Framework.java:1603)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.publishServiceEvent(Framework.java:1578)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.ServiceRegistrationImpl.<init>(ServiceRegistrationImpl.java:103)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.createServiceRegistra
ion(BundleContextImpl.java:657)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.registerService(BundleContextImpl.java:609)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.registerService(BundleContextImpl.java:675)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:359)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:176)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:623)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:504)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:443)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1169)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1144)

I still think it has something to do with Java. But I don't know exactly what. Hope one of you can help me out here.

Thanks in advance.

I used to use the native Lotus Notes client which is based on Eclipse, and this would really only work properly with java 1.4.2. Maybe try this and see how you get on.

I think it may have worked fine with java 1.5.x from memory, as I did update java and test it, even though I still had java 1.4.2 installed as well.

Thanks for your reply, Scarecrow.

But currently I have Java-1.5.0-gcj installed along with the devel package. But I also have java-1.7.0-icedtea installed along with the devel package and it's Firefox plugin. When running tests on the Sun-site, I get a message of running the latest Java available. As you can clearly see in the log-file.

java.version=1.7.0
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US

By the way, I compared my Mandriva 2008 with my Fedora 7 setup. That is, only the parts concerning Eclipse. And found out that Mandriva "forgot" to install some additional packages. These packages are:

- Eclipse-changelog

- Eclipse-pde

- Eclipse-pde-runtime

After installing those packages, I was able to start Eclipse. :)

Nice to see its solved... but for the record, you can remove "Java-1.5.0-gcj".

Unless some other packages (e.g. Openoffice) are built against the gcj java, you will never need it- the Sun 1.7.0 will do everything for you.

AFAIK Mandriva's OOo doesn't explicitly need java-gcj, so you may safely remove it.

Nice to see its solved... but for the record, you can remove "Java-1.5.0-gcj".

Unless some other packages (e.g. Openoffice) are built against the gcj java, you will never need it- the Sun 1.7.0 will do everything for you.

AFAIK Mandriva's OOo doesn't explicitly need java-gcj, so you may safely remove it.

Ok, thanks.

But for now I will let it be. But I will certainly try to remove it on a test-setup, but not on this rig. Thanks for the info.