I broke my fglrx... <SOLVED>

anyone

Hi,

I was using fglrx 8.40 with XGL to run Compiz Fusion, but as 3D applications don't work with XGL, I switched the 3D-desktop off. Everything went okay, until I switched the 3D-desktop on. I tried to log out, but I got a black screen with only one _ on the top left, and nothing worked, except Ctrl-Alt-Del, which rebooted the computer.

Even Ctrl-Alt-F1, -F2... didn't work. Then, after reboot, the screen was only some 10 cm in width and height, and resolution was something never seen before. Ctrl-alt-f6 and then I run XFdrake, chose avivo (I've got an R570 -chipset), and avivo works fine enough. But I can't get fglrx working, it just gives me the black screen with _ on top of it, and I can't get anywhere from there. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall all fglrx packages, but that didn't help.

I'd like to get fglrx working again, because though avivo works perfect in 2D use, I'd like to be able to have 3D acceleration.

I use Mandriva 2008 One.

Thanks,

anyone

Edited by anyone

Well, I don't have the option to enable it in the first place; it says that my system doesn't support it...

So it is disabled.

EDIT: After removing and re-installing the fglrx packages, the driver works; to some extent. 3D acceleration still doesn't work, for example running glxinfo or glxgears returns a segfault. 3D is enabled in driver options.

EDIT2: Another thing that really has nothing to do with this one - I just don't want to make extra topics - is that I just can't get Eclipse working. First I tried to install it, chose the j2sdk-ant -package when asked, downloaded a hell of a lot other packages, and then it complained that some packages conflicted with j2sdk-ant. Then I uninstalled all that I had installed earlier with j2sdk-ant, and chose the ant -package installing Eclipse. Well, It did install, but I get a long error message when I try to use Eclipse:

JVM terminated. Exit code=13

/usr/bin/gij4.3

-Xms128m

-Xmx1024m

-XX:PermSize=128m

-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

-Dosgi.sharedConfiguration.area=/usr/lib/eclipse/configuration

-jar /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar

-os linux

-ws gtk

-arch x86

-showsplash

-launcher /usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse

-name Eclipse

--launcher.library /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_1.0.0.v20070606/eclipse_1017a.so

-startup /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar

-exitdata 5f78017

-configuration /home/mikko/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.3.0-mdv/configuration

-Dgnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.library_control=never

-vm /usr/bin/gij4.3

-vmargs

-Xms128m

-Xmx1024m

-XX:PermSize=128m

-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

-Dosgi.sharedConfiguration.area=/usr/lib/eclipse/configuration

-jar /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar

No idea how to fix.

Edited by anyone

Another thing that really has nothing to do with this one - I just don't want to make extra topics - is that I just can't get Eclipse working.

You may find the answer in this thread: Eclipse won't start with Mandriva 2008

It suggest that Mandriva 2008 doesn't install all the needed packages... but I don't use Eclipse, so I'm not sure.

@Greg2

Thanks a lot, I had looked at it, but because it the errors were totally different, I didn't try it. But as I installed the packages it works. Still, I wonder why it needs them; they were plugins after all.

fglrx still not working, 2d stuff is okay but gives a segmentation fault on any 3d activity.

Oh, yeah, sorry forgot that :P

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"

BoardName "ATI Radeon X1300 - X1950"

Driver "fglrx"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

EDIT:

Ok now I think I have an idea what's the problem; I once tried to get 8.41 working because of some bugfixes and performance improvements over 8.40, but it always gave an error when testing. Then, I think, I removed all the fglrx packages (all, both 8.40 and 8.41), and after that the problem has started. After that I've tried to install 8.41 with the .run installer, which complains in fglrx-install.log

[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.

[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.

[Error] Kernel Module : No kernel module build environment - please consult readme.

So I would have to install kernel source or headers, right? Well, I can't find the headers, and shouldn't it be able to install in an environment without them, as originally the source was not installed but the drivers were? But I think that somehow it can't, and after installing the kernel source the installer still complains that

Error:

kernel includes at /lib/modules/2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv/build/include do not match current kernel.

they are versioned as ""

instead of "2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv".

you might need to adjust your symlinks:

- /usr/include

- /usr/src/linux

[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.

And I can't find instructions to configure the kernel sources(so that I could make it match the kernel version). That is, not to compile a new one. Some could someone help me to configure my kernel source so I could get my driver working? :)

Edited by anyone

Now I've tried even more stuff:

re-installed kernel to make the

Error:

kernel includes at /lib/modules/2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv/build/include do not match current kernel.

they are versioned as ""

instead of "2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv".

disappear. Well, now it doesn't find the version.h, because it simply isn't there. If I copy it there from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ it disappears when I log out and back in again. And if I try to install the driver when it's still there, it complains the same thing: includes are versioned as "".

Please help me, I don't want to reinstall...

See:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandr...8e.g._VMware.29

it's a kernel bug. However, frankly - quit messing with 8.41.7. You don't want it. It doesn't work well on pre-HD 2xxx chips. ATI expressly recommends you *only* use it on HD 2xxx chips. This is why we shipped 2008 still using 8.40.4 for pre-HD 2xxx chips. The best thing to do would be to simply stop messing with the upstream copy of the driver and go back to the Mandriva packaged one. Just make sure the non-free repository is available, run drakx11, and let it re-install the Mandriva packaged version of the driver.

If you *really* want to try 8.41.7, you can - it's in 2008. Just lie to drakx11 and tell it you have an HD 2300 or later and you want to use the proprietary driver, and it should install and enable the 8.41.7 version of the driver.

Actually when I still used Ubuntu 7.04 I had 8.41.7 installed, and it wasn't that unstable and it made an incredible performance boost with fixing Goole Earth and Call of Duty Multiplayer. Neither of those worked with 8.40.4.

If you *really* want to try 8.41.7, you can - it's in 2008. Just lie to drakx11 and tell it you have an HD 2300 or later and you want to use the proprietary driver, and it should install and enable the 8.41.7 version of the driver.
Nope, doesn't work, when setting my card to HD 2300 or later and pressing test it complains I have an incompatible kernel module (even without any other versions or packages of fglrx installed).
The best thing to do would be to simply stop messing with the upstream copy of the driver and go back to the Mandriva packaged one. Just make sure the non-free repository is available, run drakx11, and let it re-install the Mandriva packaged version of the driver.
Neither does that work, that's what I've been trying all the time. I just used the 8.41.7 installer to debug (fglrx-install.log told me what's actually wrong). If I uninstall all the fglrx packages, run the drakx11, let it install the packages, then it does work when trying "test" but when I log out and back in again, it gives me a segmentation fault on startup of any 3D-accelerated application... and OpenOffice doesn't work either. It gets a SIGSEGV with the backtrace seeming to have something to do with display stuff.

Cannot build applications against the kernel source (e.g. VMware)

See also Bug #34672. Several users have reported problems trying to build various applications and drivers which need to build against the kernel in Mandriva Linux 2008, in particular VMware. At least one cause for these problems is that running the make mrproper command would result in the removal of vital kernel header files. Many third party compilation scripts use the make mrproper command as part of their preparation sequence for building against the kernel.

This issue will be resolved by the release of an updated kernel package.

Is the updated kernel package already out...? If not when will it be released...? And as I did run make mrproper following the instructions of some old article talking about configuring kernel source (which I just can't find anymore :D), what should I do?

Thanks for replying.

Edited by anyone

hmmm, I suspect something has now got messed up, likely the libraries that Mesa and the proprietary driver fight over and that we handle with the update-alternatives system...

the kernel update's not out yet. You can get the update candidate kernel - see the bug report for links, I think - and try that. Or you can remove and re-install your kernel-devel packages.

Well, now there's some progress: 8.42.3 installs (using the 2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv kernel, not 2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv, because got 2 Gb RAM now), but running glxinfo I get

direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)

Works no differently with the test kernel...

And in addition to that, after trying out the test kernel I now always get some kernel module build errors on nvidia drivers and such... though I wouldn't be using them anyway... and the build attempts take long, increasing boot time noticeably.

Ok now I messed up bad. On the Phoronix forums other people had the same problem, and one said that it was a conflict with older modules. So I removed the fglrx packages, and accidentally removed the dkms package too. Now I can't boot (well it boots, but then it just goes black, all of it. can't even use ctrl+alt+f1 or anything... stays black), and I need to be able to boot to safe mode, without X. But there has never been a safe mode option in my GRUB, I don't know why. So I need instructions how to set the kernel parameters (or whatever they were called) so that it boots to safe mode... so that I can urpmi the dkms package.

EDIT: now I got it working, just all packages out and install, but there is one bug that is making desktop use very painful. Logging out produces the ****ING annoying black screen with nothing to be done. And this happens EVERY time I log out. That is, every time I shut down the X server. This is a bug listed on the release notes, but there it says it might happen 'sometimes'... and this happens on no other distro... that is, the earlier versions did this too on Mandriva, but I had no problem with any other distro.

Edited by anyone

• 5 weeks later...

Now I'm very pissed. I finally had it working with 8.42.3 in October, but there was a funny thing yesterday: Mandriva Update told me there is a kernel update available, and I installed it. There was also a new release of fglrx yesterday, ATI Catalyst Linux 7.11. After installing the kernel I rebooted and tried to install the new ATI driver. But oh no: /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log said the kernel source include file versions were AGAIN mismatched compared to the kernel! I thought it could be a problem with the new driver, so I tried to install 8.42 again. It said the same thing. Also, the kernel-devel packages say they should be enough to build 3rd party drivers against the kernel, but without the kernel source package it complains there is no kernel module build environment! The kernel update obviously messed up the build enviroment again.

So... I'd like some instructions to bypass this problem once more.

EDIT:

ROFL. I re-installed kernel-desktop-devel package for my kernel, which solved the module build environment thing, but still had no direct rendering. But then I did something unheard of:

sudo aticonfig --initial

and rebooted. Ta-da: everything works. Problem solved :D

Edited by anyone