urpmi database locked [solved]

RevJack

Well if you have 2 instances of it running you will get that, for example, if you just boot up your computer, and the online update thing is checking for updates, and you attempt to use either MCC Software Manager, or use urpmi via a konsole you will get it. There may be other reasons, but that is one.

Edited by esulcer

Yeah, all that above is correct, and probably then some.

An easy way to deal with this, apart from avoiding it to begin with, is to write yourself a little script, then copy it into /usr/local/sbin/

Mine looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

cd /var/lib/urpmi

rm -f .LOCK

rm -f .RPMLOCK

echo "Happy Urpmying!"

-------------------

This removes the files which lock your database, temporarily. It will still get locked the next time, and time after that, but if you happen to make a mistake this script will unlock it. Open kwrite as root (or gedit if you're using gnome), paste in this script, then save it under /usr/local/sbin/ as urp.ul (or whatever command you want to give it.) Next (also as root) you need to give it permissions. Type: chmod 744 /usr/local/sbin/urp.ul

This will make it readable to everyone, but only executable to root (pointless for anyone else to execute it). Good luck. I find this script has made my urpmying much less painless.