Mandriva 2008 [solved]

AussieJohn

Has anyone else encountered the following and does anyone have an explanation for it. I should make it clear that I have 7.0Gbs free space in my Home account (checked).

As said in another post, I started downloading the iso. last night (Cairns time). By the time I went to bed, 1.5Gbs had been downloaded by Dowwnloader4X.

I slept for about 10 hours and then had a look at the progress only to be stunned to see only 80MBS had been downloaded shown and D4X was still happily running.

In Download I see an iso package of 90Mbs.

Now even if the downloading had ceased and closed out, I would have expected the package in Download to be at least 2Gbs.

I now seeD4x showing only 18Mbs downloaded and looking again at the iso in Download it says it is 14Mbs.

Before I slept, the remaining time was shown as about 17 to 18 hours. Now the expected time is a ridiculous 160 hours (and climbing ...gone up to 164) yet the download speed has not altered. The figures in D4X seem to be going up and down randomly. I am wondering if I should let it run to its original expected time of completion in about 5 to 6 hours and see what happens or cut my losses and start again.

Any ideas anyone ???.

Cheers. John.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

hi john,

just for clarification, did you mean the actual file in your Download directory is shrinking? if it is then i would say that the server you are downloading from does not support resuming so d4x is restarting everytime its connection gots cut off or something. you might fare well with another server, preferably one that supports resuming.

the increasing time could mean two things: your internet connection is degrading or the server you are downloading from is getting hammered with requests. i would say the second one is more probable since mdv2008 has just been released and there are also some distros that have released new versions recently.

i am downloading via torrent but i am pushing more upwards than getting content. i am not really complaining but with 379 seeds and 738 peers i am expecting something greater than a measly 10.3kbps. i dont leave my laptop running all the time but right now after 3 days of downloading utorrent still estimates 2d14h until completion. :(

ciao!

Thanks fellas.

I am sorry that I didn't mention in this thread that I was downloading from Telstra Bigpond hence my referring to it in posts in other threads.

I regularly use D4X to download huge packages from Bigpond.

All my Mandriva ISO downloads have been done the same way for the for the past 3years so I am not sure what the problem and yes I do know it is the DVD iso and it used to take about 26 hours.

The site shows that over 115 downloads have been made so far and a further 30 are downloading currently. (The Mini that I enquired about in another thread has had 37 downloads) Amazing Ha ???.

Using D4X the download rate was around 35kb.

I have just wiped the download thus far and closed D4X.

I just tried downloading directly and am getting a download rate of 160kb and an expected completion of 8 hours. This my normal download speed so I was surprised. I used to think the lower speed was something Bigpond set or was the result of active downloading.

My main reason for using D4X was because of its restart capability if the download was interrupted.

Yes Bigpond is using Apache 2.2.4 Servers but I don't know if it is ftp or http being used.

I do not think the 4Gb limit would occur here. I believe Bigpond is a lot more competent than to not know this.

I think the problem must be with D4X although I have used it for a variety of downloads in its current version.

Well I am happily on my way again and it seems I should have it in the morning if ADSL does't make a break in that time.

Thanks Scarecrow and Ramfree for responding. You have given me something to think about and experiment with at a later time.

We can declare this "problem" GONE or SOLVED.

Cheers. John.

Hello Adam.

Originally put up on very late evening of the 12th Oct.

At the present moment Bigpond is showing 188 completed Downloads and 32 are under way . Time is 6.03 PM Sunday 14 Oct 2007

Compare that to Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon with 85 which was put up at exactly the same time, Debian Linuxv4 with 12 but was put up 1 full day earlier, Open Suse 10.3 DVD x64 with 211 and Open Suse DVD i386 with 334 both of which were put up 7 days earlier, Fedora 8 Test a total of 29 (Two versions 10 plus 19) were put up 4 days earlier.

Fastest rate of downloads of Mandriva that I can remember.

Even when I look at these figures which are only Bigpond customers, it makes me laugh when Ignoramuses say Linux is not affecting the Windows desktop.

I think this is good news don't you???

Cheers. John.

Sorry but I wouldn't know how to get download URL stats., please give me an idea of where to start and I will try to get it for you if it is possible. J.

Edited by AussieJohn

Sorry but I wouldn't know how to get download URL stats., please give me an idea of where to start and I will try to get it for you if it is possible.

John - I think Adam would like the webpage where the stats are found - if this info is publicly available... :)

Edit: I see the stats can be obtained by clicking 'more info' against the appropriate product here.

Hello Spinynorman.

Yes as far as I know that is one way to get figures but the only way to get actual progress figures is to go :-

http://files.bigpond.com/library/latestfiles.php

and then do each one in turn.

However I can keep feeding progress figures for him since he would be pretty busy.

Cheers. John.

Urgent Notice for AdamW.

This is simply amazing. Bigpond has pulled the Mandriva 2008 DVD iso image from its download list.

It is no longer on their site.

I think I now know why. I believe image was faulty. I set up K3B to burn the image anyhow even though K3B said it was not an Iso 9660 image. I continued just the same but got a disk that would not boot nor could it be read. Since the download was interrupted and resumed, I thought it might have been corrupted. So I did the sensible thing and downloaded the image again. This time no interruptions, just a smooth continuous download.

Guess what. Exactly the same result. K3B gave a checksum reading so I go back to Bigponds website to compare it with the original shown checksum and lo and behold the Package is gone, disappeared. I am going through the burn process with the 2nd download on a DVD-RW to see what happens even though I expect it to be unworkable. K3B says the burn returned a successful burn check AOK. When inserted into the DVD drive the disk does not register or mount even though it did so earlier with its Mandriva 2007 on it.

The Mandriva-Mini is still there though with 45 downloads since it was put up on 11th Oct.

Will keep you and members posted as thing eventuate.

Cheers. John.

As of approx. 6.00PM (AEST), Bigpond has the Mandriva DVD iso back up again today (15th Oct. 2007).

It is incorrectly labelled on the pages but it is the correctly labelled DVD iso as can be seen on the iso package itself.

I am one of 5 busily downloading at the moment. I am using Kget which obtains 160kb/s (7 to 8 hour download) instead of D4X which only obtains 28 to 32 even though it is set for maximum speed.

I think I will dump D4X now and use only Kget which also has resume.

Mods or Admins. Could I suggest spinning off these recent posts to a new Thread starting from

Yesterday 6.15 PM and reading as follows:-

"Hello Adam.

Originally put up on very late evening of the 12th Oct.

At the present moment Bigpond is showing 188 completed Downloads and 32 are under way . Time is 6.03 PM Sunday 14 Oct 2007

Compare that to Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon with 85 which was put up at exactly the same time, Debian Linuxv4 with 12 but was put up 1 full day earlier, Open Suse 10.3 DVD x64 with 211 and Open Suse DVD i386 with 334 both of which were put up 7 days earlier, Fedora 8 Test a total of 29 (Two versions 10 plus 19) were put up 4 days earlier.

Fastest rate of downloads of Mandriva that I can remember.

Even when I look at these figures which are only Bigpond customers, it makes me laugh when Ignoramuses say Linux is not affecting the Windows desktop.

I think this is good news don't you??? "

Perhaps name it Mandriva Downloads in Australia or some such like title.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Drat. Double Drat. Didn't notice it was the 64bit version so it would not install. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Noticed only 9 downloads still so most downloaders of the earlier faulty iso must have noticed so didn't download as I did.

Back to the drawing board. :mellow: Have requested Bigpond to put up the dvd-free-i586.iso.

Cheers. John.

G'day AussieJohn

Finally after about 10 attempts got Mandriva 2008 -dvd-free-i586.iso downloaded from Bigpond.

Had the same problem with K3B would say not a valid iso file.

Anyway I just thought I'd say that I've finally got it up and running.

Robb

...At the present moment Bigpond is showing 188 completed Downloads and 32 are under way.

...Fastest rate of downloads of Mandriva that I can remember.

...it makes me laugh when Ignoramuses say Linux is not affecting the Windows desktop.

I admire your enthusiasm John, but I don't think these download stats really sound any death knell for Windows.

According to Robb, he tried ten times to download it. You've tried at least 5 times, and between you two you've only got one working install, if I understand correctly. Even with 234 downloads, if because of the faulty isos only one fifteenth of them result in an actual install, you're looking at only tens of installs from Bigpond. Most if not all of them will be upgrades from existing Linux users. Ignoramuses or not, those tens of users aren't drastically affecting the Windows install base.

I'm not trying to knock Mandriva or knock 2008, but I think laughing at ignoramuses is a bit over the top.