Upgrade from 2007.1 to 2008

bamboccio

Am I? If the DVD/CD's are Free, they do not include the Nvidia/ATI drivers, for example. So what happens? And if I install from the network, will everything be upgraded, or will it be identical to the DVD upgrade?

What I was trying to say is that the CDs or DVD contains the same rpm packages like the ftp mirrors. There are only less packages on the CDs\DVD of course. The package manager doesn't really care about where the packages are coming from it installs them just the same. It's generally the same process.

Those packages which are not on the CDs or DVD obviously won't get upgraded. But you can upgrade them later if you like by adding the non-free or the plf repos and using "urpmi --auto-select" again.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I was trying to say is that the CDs or DVD contains the same rpm packages like the ftp mirrors. There are only less packages on the CDs\DVD of course. The package manager doesn't really care about where the packages are coming from it installs them just the same. It's generally the same process.

Those packages which are not on the CDs or DVD obviously won't get upgraded. But you can upgrade them later if you like by adding the non-free or the plf repos and using "urpmi --auto-select" again.

Thanks for the explanation. I think I'll go with the network installation after all.